From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <@FlickType>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:16:34 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 63 and beta release plan

Hi all,

The only change in this build, apart from some internal code reshuffling, is to announce the need to open the main FlickType app before the first use of the custom keyboard. As you can probably guess, we are very eager to share this build with the larger beta group, smile. To do this, we need to cover three things:

First, we need to make sure that there's no major usability issues, apart from the functionality that's still missing. If something is majorly broken, or if things are working perfectly, please let us know either way.
Second, we need to make sure that the experience for new users is acceptable, keeping in mind this is still very much in beta. To ensure a good on-boarding experience, we'd love your input on the updated instructions here: https://flicktype.groups.io/g/alpha/wiki/FlickType-custom-keyboard . If there's anything that doesn't make sense, is missing, or could otherwise be expressed more clearly, please let us know. And if there's any issues you notice with the update flow from the App Store build to this build, we'd love to know that as well.
Finally, we expect a large number of questions to come from the beta group during the first few days. If anyone would like to help us answer the common questions, please let us know so we can make you a moderator in the beta group. We'd love to have as much help there as possible, smile.

And if there's anything else you want to bring up regarding the upcoming beta release, we'd love to hear. In the event that everything is ready and working smoothly, we'd love to release to beta as soon as tomorrow, smile.

Thank you,
Kosta & Ashley

PS: I will shortly answer your questions and comments from the last day or so in a separate email.

Thank you George. The message to open the main app is only announced if you update from an old build which doesn't have the custom keyboard, to a build that includes it. If you've already opened the main app at least once since then, you won't get that message. Does that make sense?

I will add you as a moderator to the beta group, thanks again.

Sure does.

________________________________
Thank you George. The message to open the main app is only announced if you update from an old build which doesn't have the custom keyboard, to a build that includes it. If you've already opened the main app at least once since then, you won't get that message. Does that make sense?

I will add you as a moderator to the beta group, thanks again.

- Kosta

Michael Maslo

Hello, I would be willing to help answer questions or help on list if you need it. I am always willing to help.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 9, 2018 at 21:16, <FlickType (mailto:@FlickType)> wrote:

[...]

I thought you may be close to a beta release when I read the description of the current build.
Isn't this beta release a little premature? I fear the bulk of questions from beta testers will involve how to manually input text, how to cap a letter, how to enter numbers, etc.
I also worry about word of mouth that may discourage people from FlickType if they hear that these things are not available.

I thought the beta would be a version much closer to the public release. I may be wrong, but I thought the current build of the custom keyboard is fairly far from a finished product.

I may be totally off base here, this is my first alpha and beta test.

Chuck

On May 9, 2018, at 7:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kosta,

Build 1.1.-63 is working fine for me. I would suggest that you change the second bullet under your instructions found at your below link. Right now it says:

To install the custom keyboard, go to iOS Settings, FlickType, Keyboard and then enable it. You also need to enable "Full Access" right below that.

I think it would be clearer to say:

To install the custom keyboard, go to Settings, General, Keyboard, Keyboards, Add new keyboard, and select FlickType. Once installed, double tap on FlickType and turn on the Allow full access setting.

Alan Lemly

[...]

Shinji Sakiyama

Hi! List I’m Shinji.
I would be happy answer any questions from beta group.
Thank you.

iPhoneから送信

2018/05/10 午前11:16、FlickType <@FlickType>のメール:

[...]

Nozi <noziphokhanda@...>

The latest build is working well for me. Like chuck, I also think that the beta group might focus on the things that are missing like typing numbers and insertingb new lines etc. I was wondering if that all shouldn't be in the known issues?

Serina Gilbert

I think the general community would rather wait until manual input is available before testing. Just my opinion.

Serina

On May 9, 2018, at 8:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

[...]

Benny Barber

I say let the beta testers have a shot at trying the custom keyboard. I'm sure they will understand that this is not a finished product. Thanks.

Benny

On May 9, 2018, at 9:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

of

Michael Maslo

I agree. Beta means that it is not complete. Let it go and get more suggestions.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 10, 2018 at 08:16, <Benny Barber (mailto:rebelben@...)> wrote:

I say let the beta testers have a shot at trying the custom keyboard. I'm sure they will understand that this is not a finished product. Thanks.

Benny

On May 9, 2018, at 9:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

of

Paul Sutton

Sane here, everyone who is installing these builds should be aware that it is only a beta and the more people testing
it the better really.

On 10 May 2018, at 14:25, Michael Maslo <michaelmaslo04@...> wrote:

I agree. Beta means that it is not complete. Let it go and get more suggestions.

Sincerely,, mike

On May 10, 2018 at 08:16, <Benny Barber (mailto:rebelben@...)> wrote:

I say let the beta testers have a shot at trying the custom keyboard. I'm sure they will understand that this is not a finished product. Thanks.

Benny

On May 9, 2018, at 9:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

of

Matthew Janusauskas

Hi Kosta,

I will be happy to help answer questions in the beta group and to help however I can.

Regards,

Matthew

[...]

Chanelle Allen

Hello Kosta and list,
I agree with others that say this FlickType build should be released to the beta group. I sympathize with the concern that FlickType could be portrayed negatively; on the other hand, Kosta and Ashley have put in so much work already into making FlickType a usable keyboard once you get the hang of it. The learning curve may be steep, so maybe beta users should know that in advance to make an informed decision, but we don't want to discourage anyone at the same time. With practice, integrating FlickType into the flow of your iDevice activity becomes less effortless.
I can't reproduce the FlickType glitch that I experienced the other day. Still, maybe beta users should be told to use the rotor only when the FlickType keyboard is not being used. For example, if I wanted to change the volume or rate of VoiceOver, I would switch to the iOS keyboard from FlickType, adjust the rotor, and switch back. Right now, the rotor gesture has no effect when the FlickType keyboard is in use, which is a great thing, so it could be that I turned off direct touch in another app.
I am not sure if this could be considered as a known issue, but when switching from the FlickType keyboard to the iOS keyboard, I must remember to input a space before manually typing a word or number.
I hope that the beta release is successful!
Chanelle