From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <@FlickType>
Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 3:32:16 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 55

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings any more, fingers crossed.
- First word in mail app should now be correctly capitalized.

Thank you George. Can you please restart your device and see if that helps?

Chuck Dean

This build types much faster and the clicks are more timely. I have noticed that the punctuation is not always being announced. But I am typing this with the custom keyboard and I haven't seem the memory warming yet. I have also tried some words from my dictionary, that is working perfectly. Thank you! It's a good thing I can see the character's as I type because the punctuation is not being announced at all now. Good night.

Chuck

On May 3, 2018, at 10:32 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings any more, fingers crossed.
- First word in mail app should now be correctly capitalized.

Chuck Dean

Build 55
Hello, I set my voice feedback to nothing, as suggested, and the voice no longer sounds like an old lady with a bad cold, and the punctuation is now being announced.
I did see the memory warning one time, but not lately.
Looks pretty good!

Ok, restarted my phone. Working faster. No memory warning. How do I set voice over typing to nothing? I did not have any issues with voice feedback.

________________________________
[...]

George Cham

Can we now use dictionary?

________________________________
[...]

Alex Hiironen

Hey all,

I this built is working a big faster than the previous one, the punctuation announces find, and I'm able to scroll through the list of suggestive punctuation.

Dictionary also works find, as evidenced as I can type Archibald and Schecter, which aren't in the default. However, I can't make a new line character. The I'm adding them in after using FlickType custom keyboard.

Also, I cannot type quickly using the custom keyboard without it missing most of the taps. Hopefully this can be fixed and isn't some Apple limitation.
Appreciate the updates end fixes, and thanks in general for a cool new keyboard! Cheers a

Alex

On May 4, 2018, at 1:32 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings any more, fingers crossed.
- First word in mail app should now be correctly capitalized.

Chuck Dean

Hi George, it is using the dictionary from the app, but you cannot enter words here. You can enter the words in the app. But the system wide keyboard is using the words that are in your dictionary.

Chuck

On May 3, 2018, at 11:26 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Can we now use dictionary?

________________________________
[...]

GoTo settings; general; accessibility; voice over; typing feedback; and select nothing.

Chuck

On May 3, 2018, at 11:27 PM, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok, will try it.

________________________________
[...]

Macster

Hi Kosta, yet another quick update. I'm delighted to have the dictionary available and happy to say it works very well indeed.

There is an error in the announcement of the full stop again however. If I type a sentence and flick right at the end, a full stop is entered but it announces the last word of the sentence again. Its the same situation for adding a question mark for example, if I typed how are you then flicked right and then down 3 times, a question mark would be entered at the end but I would hear the word you announced three times during said flicks.

Also, the pitch change... I noticed George said it works well with the feedback set to nothing. I have noticed that this helps with the delay as you said, but I still get the higher pitch whilst typing. Ironically however, I get the normal pitch whilst deleting! I have use pitch change for deleting set to on in my settings, is it possible that somehow this is inverting the expected behaviour?

Regarding the memory warning, I'm happy to report that I've yet to experience this, and I'm running iOS 11.3.1 on my iPhone SE.

Macky

Paul Sutton

Hi, this build is great. Please keep up the good work. I have just noticed that when swiping left with three fingers voiceover doesn't say anything. I know it is moving sentence by sentence because when I swipe with two fingers voiceover tells me where I am, Paul.

On 4 May 2018, at 06:32, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Fixed audio latency. Hopefully it should now feel more like the main app, apart from the tap feedback delay. Please note: you must set VoiceOver typing feedback to "Nothing", otherwise the announcements will be laggy and sound like the voice has a cold and a stutter - no kidding. For some reason the iOS announcements are lower-quality as well as delayed, and because of the delay they almost immediately interrupt the FlickType announcements.
- You can now type your custom dictionary words, as well as some additional built-in words. You must run the main app once after updating for your words to carry over.
- Improved memory management. Hopefully you won't get those memory warnings any more, fingers crossed.
- First word in mail app should now be correctly capitalized.

Macster

Apologies, I had set feedback to off in the app settings, not feedback to nothing in the iOS settings. All works as expected now! My brain clearly hasn't gone up through the gears yet this morning!

Macky

Alex, the laggy tap feedback and the missed taps when typing fast
should be resolved
sometime next week, using a new custom gesture recognizer.

Macky, I have also experienced hearing the word just before the
punctuation, and this also happened when I switched to the iOS keyboard.
Also changing the VoiceOver typing feedback setting seemed to sometimes not
take effect until I restarted either the app or the entire device. I think
there are some iOS bugs at play here, although I am not 100% sure at this
point. I have tried way too many combinations of things over the last few
days and I'm only now starting to understand VoiceOver a little bit better,
in terms of how to get it to say what I want, as well as when and how I
want it to say it. VoiceOver definitely seems to misbehave a lot from my
little experience.

By the way, I made a few improvements to the custom keyboard instructions and
finally put them in this wiki page <https://flicktype.groups.io/
g/alpha/wiki/FlickType-Custom-Keyboard>. This will be the place to
reference first, and if your question is not covered there please let me
know when you post to the group so that I can also add the missing
information there. It seems that the exact wording on how and why to turn
typing feedback to "Nothing" will be critical to get right for new users.
Happy to hear any suggestions you may have in that area too.

Thank you all,
Kosta

- To join our beta, please send an email here
<beta+subscribe@flicktype.groups.io?subject=Subscribe&body=empty>
- Browse all our forum topics <https://flicktype.groups.io/g/hello/topics>
- Post to our forum <hello@flicktype.groups.io>
- Join our forum <hello+subscribe@flicktype.groups.io>
- Help & support <http://www.flicktype.com/help>
- Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/FlickType>

http://flicktype.com

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 11:39 PM, Macster <@Macster> wrote:

[...]

Just testing with typing feedback set to nothing. In build55. When will we be able to add numbers using the system keyboard? Oh! No memory warning when using FlickType on I pad.

________________________________
[...]

This version of the keyboard extension is fantastic. I have not seen the speech issues that are being reported. I now am seeing the repeat of the last word when adding a period. I have never seen the memory issues. You have been able to shorten the typing lag. The keyboard is really starting to come together. Great job!

I just found an interesting bug. The only place I an seeing the word being repeated after punctuation is in the message field of the default email application. The but doesn't seen to be anywhere else...

On May 4, 2018, at 9:04 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello,

This version of the keyboard extension is fantastic. I have not seen the speech issues that are being reported. I now am seeing the repeat of the last word when adding a period. I have never seen the memory issues. You have been able to shorten the typing lag. The keyboard is really starting to come together. Great job!

Ed Worrell

Sharon Kim

Hello all,
Okay so I've just recently updated to the latest version.
First of all, nice job. A lot of the latancy is gone, and the custom
dictionary thing helps a whole lot.
However, I am still getting this weird freezing issue.
So when I go to say send a text message, and I switch to the flicktype
keyboard, everything just freezes up. Voice over isn't frozen, but I
get absolutely no feedback.
I end up having to wait for about five seconds, make random gestures,
till I know flicktype is engaged by the feedback I'm receiving. I'm
not sure why this is happening, but it is no good for the soul. lol :d
:d
Otherwise though, it is a whole lot better.
Out of sheer curiosity though, why is there a latency with the tap
sounds? is that something that can be fixed in future?
Thank you all so much, I truly appreciate all the work that's being put in.

wrote:

[...]

I was trying to reply to a post in the ViPhone group, and the custom keyboard locked up and I couldn't do anything with it.

(I had to go to the iOS keyboard, to finish this email because the memory warning keeps coming up. I am dictating this.)

Just now as I was trying to type this with Fliktype custom keyboard, the memory warning came back, and would not let me do anything.
At this time I don’t think I can use the custom keyboard to reliably enter text in any field. When it works, it works great, but it seem to lock up on me a lot.

Chuck