Topics

Build 53

Benny Barber

I’m using a 5s with 11.3.1 and it doesn’t work.

On May 2, 2018, at 3:23 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

that's strange. It speaks the sentence when I do a three finger flick.
I just tried it with this email; it worked perfectly. I am using an iPhone 8,
Running ios 11.3.1.

Chuck

On May 2, 2018, at 1:08 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

The word is read aloud on the 2 finger flick, but nothing is read aloud with the 3 finger flick.

On May 2, 2018, at 2:51 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Bennie,
When you move the cursor, the word or sentence will be red aloud, so you will know exactly where you are.
Try it, works great! :)

Chuck

On May 2, 2018, at 12:24 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Thanks, Chuck. It seems like I would like to hear something. Maybe the first word of the sentence where you moved to. Thanks again.

Benny

On May 2, 2018, at 2:05 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Bennie,
There is really no need for verbal feedback when using the cursor. If you flick left with two fingers; you are moving the cursor back one word. If you flick right with two fingers; you are moving the cursor one word forward.

If you flick left with three fingers; you are moving the cursor back one sentence. If you slick right with three fingers you are moving the cursor forward one sentence.

Chuck

On May 2, 2018, at 10:40 AM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Hello,

I don't remember reading about the 3finger flick right and left to advance the cursor a sentence at a time. Is this a new gesture? If so, can we get some verbal feedback such as; back 1sentence and forward 1sentence? Thanks so much.

Benny

On May 1, 2018, at 9:52 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

This took longer than expected. Changes since the previous build:

- This is a major rewrite. Among other differences, the previous build would only change the underlying textfield when you exited the FlickType keyboard, not while you typed. FlickType will now immediately perform all edits in the current field, such as inserting, deleting or changing words. This paves the way for an optional half-screen mode in the near future.
- Reduced memory consumption to address crashing. Unfortunately iOS only allows very little active memory for keyboards compared to regular apps, and aggressively terminates any keyboard that crosses the threshold.
- You now also need to enable "Full Access" in the FlickType settings under the iOS settings app. This is for FlickType to be able to play any sound effects such as taps. The previous method of playing taps was using a private API and was likely to be rejected if submitted to the App Store. Currently, if you don't enable "Full Access" the keyboard will crash. This is a good opportunity to share our very short privacy policy: http://www.flicktype.com/privacy
- If you have some pending taps and flick left to delete, FlickType will now announce "Cleared taps" instead of deleting the previous word.
- You can now move the cursor and navigate the entire current document, not just the current sentence. This should make it more usable for writing longer pieces of text.
- Added a visual keyboard indicator for low-vision folks, in the form of 2 horizontal white bars representing the top and bottom rows.
- Introducing the FlickType "visual announcements", designed to better help low-vision and hearing-impaired folks use the product. All VoiceOver typing announcements for inserting, deleting and changing words will now also be displayed as high-contrast text using the largest possible font size that fits the entire screen above the keyboard area. This replaces the text view that was previously used for debugging.
- The gesture to dismiss the keyboard has been changed to a 3 finger flick down.

We are both really looking forward to hearing what you all think, smile!

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley

Chuck Dean

[...]

It might be nice to hear begening of line with the three finger swipe to the left and end of line for the three finger swipe to the right. This might help with the spacial awareness and where the cursor actually is.

Just a thought.

Ed Worrell

On May 2, 2018, at 2:08 PM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Maslo

list, I have been testing the latest build and I have the following observations. I am using the iPhone ten and the only thing I have noticed so far is the fact that when I flick down I sometimes get where the suggestions repeat themselves once. It is not a regular occurring but it happens on occasions. The other thing is the dictionary does not seem to be complete. I hate the vibration when I type so I will be turning that off. Also I am unsure if this has been implemented yet but I an unable to type manually still. Outside of that I love this keyboard. Keep up the awesome job.

On May 2, 2018 at 11:56, <Sharon Kim (mailto:sharon.mi.kim22@...)> wrote:

hello all,
I hope this email finds you well.
So I have the latest update of flicktype, and here are my observations.
Now I'm aware, that some of these things are things that you guys are
already aware of, but I'll just put it down here, in case one slips
through the cracks.
1. It appears to be rather laggy.
I don't know why, but whenever I use the system wide keyboard, it just
seems slow, and clunky to me. It almost feels like I'd save more time
by switching back and forth between apps.
2. When you change to the flicktype keyboard, there is a bit of time
where nothing happens. No tap sounds, voice over doesn't talk, it's
almost like the phone freezes, but this only happens when I change to
another keyboard. What I have to do, is to make random gestures,
swiping, just random things, tapping, till it starts talking to me.
Usually it will within like five seconds or so, but in that time,
there is no feedback, no nothing. it's just like frozen in time or
something. lol.
3. Now this is a big one for me. We are not able to use the words we
have put in the custom dictionary.
The reason why this is a big one is because, with the dictionary you
guys are using, and I know there is an intended change, but with the
dictionary that's being used now, there are actual words missing from
it. I gave you guys several examples in a couple tweets a week or so
back. Because of this, I have added those words to my custom
dictionary, which I cannot use if I use the system wide keyboard.
All in all, I think this is a great start, but I think there has to
definitely be an increase in response time. It's not just about the
tap sounds coming in slower, it's just everything. The entire keyboard
feels to me, a bit clunky and laggy.
So for now, I'm switching back and forth between apps, but I'm sure
given time this will improve.
That's all from me.
I hope you all havea lovely day.

On 5/2/18, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:
Hello Maxter and List,
On my phone, flicking right after a word also does not announce a full stop.
For me though, this behavior only occurred in the Mail app but not in Notes
or Messages.
Chanelle

On May 2, 2018, at 00:20, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

Ok, is there a way of giving the user the option of decreasing the text
size it they wish?

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be
gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.’