Date   

Re: Build 132 half screen keyboard.

Chuck Dean
 

Hello,
Try restarting your iPhone. It seems to cure those problems on my phone.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 5:13 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:


I am also finding that dismissing or switching to the next keyboard is more useful than taking advantage of the half-screen keyboard. Getting text entered into a field happens most of the time when dismissing the keyboard. When attempting to navigate and enter text by placing a finger above the keyboard, text is either not entered or sections get deleted. Maybe I should reinstall FlickType as Chuck did.
Chanelle

On Jul 5, 2018, at 15:20, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I use the classic app because I am confident it will work perfectly, not so sure with 132.
No matter what I tried, the only way I could get text into a field was either changing or dismissing the keyboard. As I understand it, I should be able to tap above the FlickType keyboard and the text should be entered. Correct?

I'll go back and try again.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:13 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you cannot get text into a field unless you change or dismiss the keyboard. Has anyone else experienced that?

Regarding text replacements, these can actually be used once I implement them, and are unrelated to how FlickType interacts with the text fields. So that’s good news, smile.

Curious, what’s the main reason you used the classic app to type this?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 14:26, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 132 half screen keyboard.
Hello Kosta,
First, I like the half screen keyboard because I can interact with all the fields while sending an email.
I understand this is experimental, but I can not get text into a field unless I change or dismiss the keyboard,. The ability to interact with all text fields without having change the keyboard is paramount to its success.
But you already know that.

The size of the keyboard is fine, smaller may be better.
Typing is just as good as the other keyboards, no lag or stutter.

Its unfortunate that FlickType can't enter the text directly into a text field, this would also allow text replacements to be used.

I was wondering if turning off all typing echo and feedback would stop the stuttering, but a quick test with fleksy told me no.

Obviously, the half screen keyboard is much more complicated than any of us expected. But this shows great promise.

BTW this was typed on FlickType Classic... Old reliable! 😎

Chuck






Re: Build 132 half screen keyboard.

Chanelle Allen
 

I am also finding that dismissing or switching to the next keyboard is more useful than taking advantage of the half-screen keyboard. Getting text entered into a field happens most of the time when dismissing the keyboard. When attempting to navigate and enter text by placing a finger above the keyboard, text is either not entered or sections get deleted. Maybe I should reinstall FlickType as Chuck did.
Chanelle

On Jul 5, 2018, at 15:20, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I use the classic app because I am confident it will work perfectly, not so sure with 132.
No matter what I tried, the only way I could get text into a field was either changing or dismissing the keyboard. As I understand it, I should be able to tap above the FlickType keyboard and the text should be entered. Correct?

I'll go back and try again.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:13 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you cannot get text into a field unless you change or dismiss the keyboard. Has anyone else experienced that?

Regarding text replacements, these can actually be used once I implement them, and are unrelated to how FlickType interacts with the text fields. So that’s good news, smile.

Curious, what’s the main reason you used the classic app to type this?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 14:26, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 132 half screen keyboard.
Hello Kosta,
First, I like the half screen keyboard because I can interact with all the fields while sending an email.
I understand this is experimental, but I can not get text into a field unless I change or dismiss the keyboard,. The ability to interact with all text fields without having change the keyboard is paramount to its success.
But you already know that.

The size of the keyboard is fine, smaller may be better.
Typing is just as good as the other keyboards, no lag or stutter.

Its unfortunate that FlickType can't enter the text directly into a text field, this would also allow text replacements to be used.

I was wondering if turning off all typing echo and feedback would stop the stuttering, but a quick test with fleksy told me no.

Obviously, the half screen keyboard is much more complicated than any of us expected. But this shows great promise.

BTW this was typed on FlickType Classic... Old reliable! 😎

Chuck





Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

Chuck Dean
 

It may be that I was touching the screen above the keyboard while sending the messages.
I noticed that if I touch the screen it will read back to me the previous message, and perhaps that is why it is including it in the next message. But I am not sure.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I just sent you a screenshot of the last messages I tried send it to myself.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:58 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck, that helps. Those symbols are used by FlickType when it thinks something has gone wrong.

Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:35, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello,
I tried it again, and I noticed that the text that includes the previous message, will have a greater than and less than symbol before and after the text. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but I am not putting that in.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I just kept sending myself messages, and after about the third message it would repeat the message before.
I tried it again, and it’s doing the same thing.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

For the repeating text in messages, do you have some simple steps to reliably reproduce?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck






Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

Chuck Dean
 

I just sent you a screenshot of the last messages I tried send it to myself.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:58 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck, that helps. Those symbols are used by FlickType when it thinks something has gone wrong.

Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:35, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello,
I tried it again, and I noticed that the text that includes the previous message, will have a greater than and less than symbol before and after the text. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but I am not putting that in.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I just kept sending myself messages, and after about the third message it would repeat the message before.
I tried it again, and it’s doing the same thing.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

For the repeating text in messages, do you have some simple steps to reliably reproduce?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck






He screenshot of my weird messages.

Chuck Dean
 


Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

 

Thank you Chuck, that helps. Those symbols are used by FlickType when it thinks something has gone wrong.

Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:35, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello,
I tried it again, and I noticed that the text that includes the previous message, will have a greater than and less than symbol before and after the text. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but I am not putting that in.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I just kept sending myself messages, and after about the third message it would repeat the message before.
I tried it again, and it’s doing the same thing.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

For the repeating text in messages, do you have some simple steps to reliably reproduce?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck





Re: Build 132 - Half-screen test

Ed Worrell
 

Hey Kosta,

Yeah, I am not really seeing the benefit of the keyboard showing at sixty percent. If you could get the size of the keyboard closer to the iOS keyboard that would make it much more functional to me. I find myself dismissing the keyboard anyway with the current build. I just don't find it intuitive to use the small sliver of space at the top of the screen.

The keyboard does seem much more stable.

Ed

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Ed.

Regarding the size of the keyboard, we have to balance being able to interact with the rest of the current app you are in, as well as preventing accidental taps while you’re typing that happen to be above the keyboard. That said, a little smaller than the current size might be best.

When you say there is no benefit as it currently is, do you not find it more convenient that you can access things like the send button in messages without having to first dismiss the keyboard?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 13:00, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey Kosta,

This is a great first step. I would love to see the size of the keyboard foot print decreased dramatically. As it sits this would not be functional for me at all. There would be no benefit to me to have the top of the screen showing. If it were even slightly bigger than the default iOS keyboard that would be great. A half scree mode would even be a little better than the current size. For me the closer you can get to the default size of the iOS keyboard the better.

Great job as always,

Ed

On Jul 5, 2018, at 1:49 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

You will probably need to revert back to build 131 after this, but we really wanted to get a very first round of feedback and ideas on the half-screen mode that has been in the works for some time now. In this highly experimental build, the keyboard will only take up 60% of the screen height in portrait mode, and will always take up the entire screen in landscape mode as before. We are looking for feedback on what the biggest issues may be that prevent you from utilizing the keyboard as you'd expect. Assuming we eventually get this to work properly, we are considering having an option and/or a gesture to toggle between full screen and half screen modes, as well as eliminating the dismiss function altogether.

For those who'd like to know the details, here's what's going on behind the scenes: As before, FlickType does not immediately send keyboard events to the textfield, in order to prevent problematic VoiceOver feedback which includes delay, stutter, and perhaps most importantly a lot of erroneous feedback such as "End of document" which would happen with almost every word typed or changed. Instead, FlickType will hold on to all the new text you have typed, and only commit the changes upon dismissal or switching to the next keyboard. But with the half-screen mode, FlickType will also commit all changes as soon as the VoiceOver cursor moves away from FlickType. This means that as soon as you touch above the keyboard, you will hear the text being entered in the textfield. In principle, most users shouldn't even realize what's going on since the text will appear to be in the field as expected. I should note, however, that I've experienced instances where the cursor will move outside of the keyboard, but iOS will not notify FlickType about it, and the only solution in that case is to make the keyboard active again either by touching it directly or by moving to the next screen element, and then touch above the keyboard once more. I have no sense of how common this may be under normal use.

Eager to hear back any and all feedback you may have.

Thank you for testing,
Kosta






Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

Chuck Dean
 

Hello,
I tried it again, and I noticed that the text that includes the previous message, will have a greater than and less than symbol before and after the text. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but I am not putting that in.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:27 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I just kept sending myself messages, and after about the third message it would repeat the message before.
I tried it again, and it’s doing the same thing.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

For the repeating text in messages, do you have some simple steps to reliably reproduce?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck




Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

Chuck Dean
 

I just kept sending myself messages, and after about the third message it would repeat the message before.
I tried it again, and it’s doing the same thing.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

For the repeating text in messages, do you have some simple steps to reliably reproduce?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck




Re: Build 132 now it's working

Chuck Dean
 

I am using an iPhone ate running Version, iOS 11.4

I think it was the restart of the iPhone that cured the problem.

I just found a problem. As I was typing the first draft of this reply, I accidentally touched the screen above the FlickType keyboard and all my text was lost. I am being careful to stay within the borders of the keyboard this time. This could be a big problem for those with less vision.
Chuck
I am dictating this part of the message. When I went to send, no text showed up on this particular email, I dismiss the screen, and then text showed up.
I then change the iOS keyboard so I could use dictation to finish this email.

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

Just to confirm, was it restarting your device that seems to have fixed the issue, or did reinstalling initially helped to some extent? And did you initially restart your device after upgrading to 132, or did you only do so after experiencing the issue?

We’re trying to identify what are the minimum and easiest steps that we’d recommend to other users if they have similar issues. So far we’ve found that restarting the device, even though a bit drastic, might be the simplest measure to combat all sorts of unexpected behavior.

Also, what iOS version are you currently running?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 15:53, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I reinstalled and restarted my iPhone and now build 132 is acting as expected. Something must have gone wrong with the first install because nothing would happen if I tapped above the keyboard. BTW I had the same thing happen while typing this reply the first time so I restarted the iPhone. This happened when I tried using the three finger hole to hear what I had typed, but I think one of my fingers was above the keyboard.
If this is working as expected, its pretty cool... Being able to interact with all fields and send buttons.😎

Good job!👍

Chuck



Re: Build 132 - Half-screen test

Chanelle Allen
 

Hi Kosta,
I think that I could get to like a half-screen option for the FlickType keyboard. I am not sure if I could use FlickType effectively if the keyboard is the size of the iOS keyboard, but it would be worth a try. Also, my iPhone is always set to portrait mode, and I prefer to use FlickType that way as well. So, I would prefer a full-screen portrait FlickType keyboard if the half-screen doesn't work out for me, or better yet, giving people a choice would be excellent. I have had the most trouble testing the half-screen keyboard in Mail. Because FlickType occupies 60% of the screen, it is not possible to flick to all text fields or to locate them via touch and explore.
After updating to the latest build and then restarting my phone, I tested FlickType in the Drafts writing app and then decided to write myself an email. I wanted to find out how well I could move to different text fields without dismissing the keyboard. First, I used FlickType to type a few letters into the To: field. My text was not entered, and autocomplete suggestions did not appear even though I retyped the same letters with FlickType followed by a space and then again followed by a new line. Eventually, I dismissed the keyboard, and found the autocomplete suggestions. When I say that I “dismissed" the keyboard, I actually mean that I pressed the Next Keyboard button or performed the gesture. After typing in the Subject field, I tried locating the Message Body area without dismissing FlickType. I was finding the From: and CC: fields, but I could not move any further. FlickType was in the Subject field, but I could not locate the Subject label. The standard VoiceOver three finger gestures for scrolling did not work to show the other fields on screen. When I have trouble accessing controls or information in any app, I find the last item that can be located via explore by touch, place my finger an inch or two from the right hand side of the screen and then I perform a double tap and hold gesture, which I think is the VoiceOver pass through gesture. Still holding my finger down, I move it an inch or two to the edge of the screen and then release. After typing a few sentences into the message area, I did not dismiss FlickType but placed my finger above the keyboard to look for the Send button. When I found Send, the button was dimmed, so I used the method I described to locate the Subject field, which was blank. When I typed in a subject and used the every method to bring up the message body, my text had gone. This occurred at about 1:40 p.m. I will send you crash logs if I can find them. As I have been writing this email and inserting or changing text as I go along, certain sections have disappeared.
The half-screen FlickType keyboard will be useful once some of the kinks have been worked out. When I write, I will just dismiss FlickType to prevent text loss.
Thank you.
Chanelle

On Jul 5, 2018, at 12:49, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

You will probably need to revert back to build 131 after this, but we really wanted to get a very first round of feedback and ideas on the half-screen mode that has been in the works for some time now. In this highly experimental build, the keyboard will only take up 60% of the screen height in portrait mode, and will always take up the entire screen in landscape mode as before. We are looking for feedback on what the biggest issues may be that prevent you from utilizing the keyboard as you'd expect. Assuming we eventually get this to work properly, we are considering having an option and/or a gesture to toggle between full screen and half screen modes, as well as eliminating the dismiss function altogether.

For those who'd like to know the details, here's what's going on behind the scenes: As before, FlickType does not immediately send keyboard events to the textfield, in order to prevent problematic VoiceOver feedback which includes delay, stutter, and perhaps most importantly a lot of erroneous feedback such as "End of document" which would happen with almost every word typed or changed. Instead, FlickType will hold on to all the new text you have typed, and only commit the changes upon dismissal or switching to the next keyboard. But with the half-screen mode, FlickType will also commit all changes as soon as the VoiceOver cursor moves away from FlickType. This means that as soon as you touch above the keyboard, you will hear the text being entered in the textfield. In principle, most users shouldn't even realize what's going on since the text will appear to be in the field as expected. I should note, however, that I've experienced instances where the cursor will move outside of the keyboard, but iOS will not notify FlickType about it, and the only solution in that case is to make the keyboard active again either by touching it directly or by moving to the next screen element, and then touch above the keyboard once more. I have no sense of how common this may be under normal use.

Eager to hear back any and all feedback you may have.

Thank you for testing,
Kosta



Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

 

Thank you Chuck.

For the repeating text in messages, do you have some simple steps to reliably reproduce?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 16:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck



Re: Build 132 not working well in messages.

Chuck Dean
 

But email is working great!
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck


Re: Build 132 now it's working

 

Thank you Chuck.

Just to confirm, was it restarting your device that seems to have fixed the issue, or did reinstalling initially helped to some extent? And did you initially restart your device after upgrading to 132, or did you only do so after experiencing the issue?

We’re trying to identify what are the minimum and easiest steps that we’d recommend to other users if they have similar issues. So far we’ve found that restarting the device, even though a bit drastic, might be the simplest measure to combat all sorts of unexpected behavior.

Also, what iOS version are you currently running?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 15:53, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:


Hello Kosta,
I reinstalled and restarted my iPhone and now build 132 is acting as expected. Something must have gone wrong with the first install because nothing would happen if I tapped above the keyboard. BTW I had the same thing happen while typing this reply the first time so I restarted the iPhone. This happened when I tried using the three finger hole to hear what I had typed, but I think one of my fingers was above the keyboard.
If this is working as expected, its pretty cool... Being able to interact with all fields and send buttons.😎

Good job!👍

Chuck


Build 132 not working well in messages.

Chuck Dean
 

Hello Kosta,
I tried sending myself some text messages and the previous text message would be included in the text message I was sending. Perhaps this was because I was sending to myself, but I have never seen behavior like this before.
Chuck


Build 132 now it's working

Chuck Dean
 

Hello Kosta,
I reinstalled and restarted my iPhone and now build 132 is acting as expected. Something must have gone wrong with the first install because nothing would happen if I tapped above the keyboard. BTW I had the same thing happen while typing this reply the first time so I restarted the iPhone. This happened when I tried using the three finger hole to hear what I had typed, but I think one of my fingers was above the keyboard.
If this is working as expected, its pretty cool... Being able to interact with all fields and send buttons.😎

Good job!👍

Chuck


Re: Build 132 half screen keyboard.

Chuck Dean
 

I use the classic app because I am confident it will work perfectly, not so sure with 132.
No matter what I tried, the only way I could get text into a field was either changing or dismissing the keyboard. As I understand it, I should be able to tap above the FlickType keyboard and the text should be entered. Correct?

I'll go back and try again.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:13 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you cannot get text into a field unless you change or dismiss the keyboard. Has anyone else experienced that?

Regarding text replacements, these can actually be used once I implement them, and are unrelated to how FlickType interacts with the text fields. So that’s good news, smile.

Curious, what’s the main reason you used the classic app to type this?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 14:26, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 132 half screen keyboard.
Hello Kosta,
First, I like the half screen keyboard because I can interact with all the fields while sending an email.
I understand this is experimental, but I can not get text into a field unless I change or dismiss the keyboard,. The ability to interact with all text fields without having change the keyboard is paramount to its success.
But you already know that.

The size of the keyboard is fine, smaller may be better.
Typing is just as good as the other keyboards, no lag or stutter.

Its unfortunate that FlickType can't enter the text directly into a text field, this would also allow text replacements to be used.

I was wondering if turning off all typing echo and feedback would stop the stuttering, but a quick test with fleksy told me no.

Obviously, the half screen keyboard is much more complicated than any of us expected. But this shows great promise.

BTW this was typed on FlickType Classic... Old reliable! 😎

Chuck




Re: Build 132 - Half-screen test

 

Thank you Ed.

Regarding the size of the keyboard, we have to balance being able to interact with the rest of the current app you are in, as well as preventing accidental taps while you’re typing that happen to be above the keyboard. That said, a little smaller than the current size might be best.

When you say there is no benefit as it currently is, do you not find it more convenient that you can access things like the send button in messages without having to first dismiss the keyboard?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 13:00, Ed Worrell via Groups.Io <ed.worrell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey Kosta,

This is a great first step. I would love to see the size of the keyboard foot print decreased dramatically. As it sits this would not be functional for me at all. There would be no benefit to me to have the top of the screen showing. If it were even slightly bigger than the default iOS keyboard that would be great. A half scree mode would even be a little better than the current size. For me the closer you can get to the default size of the iOS keyboard the better.

Great job as always,

Ed

On Jul 5, 2018, at 1:49 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

You will probably need to revert back to build 131 after this, but we really wanted to get a very first round of feedback and ideas on the half-screen mode that has been in the works for some time now. In this highly experimental build, the keyboard will only take up 60% of the screen height in portrait mode, and will always take up the entire screen in landscape mode as before. We are looking for feedback on what the biggest issues may be that prevent you from utilizing the keyboard as you'd expect. Assuming we eventually get this to work properly, we are considering having an option and/or a gesture to toggle between full screen and half screen modes, as well as eliminating the dismiss function altogether.

For those who'd like to know the details, here's what's going on behind the scenes: As before, FlickType does not immediately send keyboard events to the textfield, in order to prevent problematic VoiceOver feedback which includes delay, stutter, and perhaps most importantly a lot of erroneous feedback such as "End of document" which would happen with almost every word typed or changed. Instead, FlickType will hold on to all the new text you have typed, and only commit the changes upon dismissal or switching to the next keyboard. But with the half-screen mode, FlickType will also commit all changes as soon as the VoiceOver cursor moves away from FlickType. This means that as soon as you touch above the keyboard, you will hear the text being entered in the textfield. In principle, most users shouldn't even realize what's going on since the text will appear to be in the field as expected. I should note, however, that I've experienced instances where the cursor will move outside of the keyboard, but iOS will not notify FlickType about it, and the only solution in that case is to make the keyboard active again either by touching it directly or by moving to the next screen element, and then touch above the keyboard once more. I have no sense of how common this may be under normal use.

Eager to hear back any and all feedback you may have.

Thank you for testing,
Kosta





Re: Build 132 half screen keyboard.

 

Thank you Chuck.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you cannot get text into a field unless you change or dismiss the keyboard. Has anyone else experienced that?

Regarding text replacements, these can actually be used once I implement them, and are unrelated to how FlickType interacts with the text fields. So that’s good news, smile.

Curious, what’s the main reason you used the classic app to type this?

Thanks,
Kosta

On Jul 5, 2018, at 14:26, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 132 half screen keyboard.
Hello Kosta,
First, I like the half screen keyboard because I can interact with all the fields while sending an email.
I understand this is experimental, but I can not get text into a field unless I change or dismiss the keyboard,. The ability to interact with all text fields without having change the keyboard is paramount to its success.
But you already know that.

The size of the keyboard is fine, smaller may be better.
Typing is just as good as the other keyboards, no lag or stutter.

Its unfortunate that FlickType can't enter the text directly into a text field, this would also allow text replacements to be used.

I was wondering if turning off all typing echo and feedback would stop the stuttering, but a quick test with fleksy told me no.

Obviously, the half screen keyboard is much more complicated than any of us expected. But this shows great promise.

BTW this was typed on FlickType Classic... Old reliable! 😎

Chuck



Build 132 half screen keyboard.

Chuck Dean
 

Build 132 half screen keyboard.
Hello Kosta,
First, I like the half screen keyboard because I can interact with all the fields while sending an email.
I understand this is experimental, but I can not get text into a field unless I change or dismiss the keyboard,. The ability to interact with all text fields without having change the keyboard is paramount to its success.
But you already know that.

The size of the keyboard is fine, smaller may be better.
Typing is just as good as the other keyboards, no lag or stutter.

Its unfortunate that FlickType can't enter the text directly into a text field, this would also allow text replacements to be used.

I was wondering if turning off all typing echo and feedback would stop the stuttering, but a quick test with fleksy told me no.

Obviously, the half screen keyboard is much more complicated than any of us expected. But this shows great promise.

BTW this was typed on FlickType Classic... Old reliable! 😎

Chuck