Date   
Re: Build 39

Justin Thornton
 

Just a quick note.
The new menu gesture swiping up from the bottom of the screen is affecting my ability to go home on the iPhone X with voiceover on.
I can no longer do this.

On Apr 18, 2018, at 3:34 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!

In this release:
- Fixed incorrect word announcements when punctuation announcement was off. Words with an apostrophe would be split into two parts, as if the apostrophe became a space. For example, "don't" would be pronounced as "don tee".
- Apostrophes and hyphens will no longer be included in word announcements, unless there is potential for confusion between candidates. For example, the contraction for "it is" will always include the apostrophe in the announcement, to distinguish from the possessive "its". But words like "isn't", "doesn't" and "don't" will be announced normally, without the apostrophe being spoken.
- Apostrophes and hyphens will no longer be included in word deletion announcements.
- Fixed incorrect announcement when deleting a new line.

Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!

Kosta & Ashley


Hello, I am also having the problem with the single flick up from the bottom to invoke the menu.

Chuck Dean
 

Hello, I am also having the problem with the single flick up from the bottom to invoke the menu. In both landscape and portrait modes, when I flick up, it opens the control center.
I didn't have this problem initially, but it is 100% of the time now.


Chuck

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Chuck Dean
 

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me. The two finger swipe up works 100% of the time. There was some mention of eliminating this gesture in the future. Unless a better gesture is found for opening the menu, I suggest it stays.


Chuck

I notice when I delete partial words, mistakes for example, FlickType does not announce the delete, ...

Chuck Dean
 

I notice when I delete partial words, mistakes for example, FlickType does not announce the delete, so I have a tendency to flick left again which deletes the previous word.
Also, I turned on audio ducking to test the tap stereo feature and noticed a lag from when I type and the announcement.
I am using an iPhone 8 running iOS 11.3.


Chuck

Version 39 when flicking from the bottom it opens the control panel, but if I hit the home button ...

Chuck Dean
 

Version 39 when flicking from the bottom it opens the control panel, but if I hit the home button the control panel will close and the menu will be their.


Chuck

Version 39 3D touch for export text?

Chuck Dean
 

Version 39 3D touch for export text?
Hello, is it possible to use 3D touch to invoke the export text panel? Most of the time I need to open this panel, but as it is setup now, I have to go through the menu... An extra step.


Chuck

Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Chanelle Allen
 

Hello,
I like the single flick up from bottom gesture to bring up the menu, but I also agree that the two finger flick up should remain in place. I don't have an iPhone 10, but I thought that gestures to bring up the home screen and app switcher require a tap, hold and slide movement whereas bringing up the FlickType menu is a quick flick motion above where the physical home button would be. Am I wrong, and if so, could someone explain? If I am correct, it seems that FlickType should be able to distinguish between these seemingly different gestures. I also like the idea of 3-D touch being used to bring up export options.
Chanelle

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me. The two finger swipe up works 100% of the time. There was some mention of eliminating this gesture in the future. Unless a better gesture is found for opening the menu, I suggest it stays.


Chuck



Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

 

Hi Chuck, Chanelle,

We appreciate the feedback. Due to a bug with iOS we were not able to implement the single flick up gesture the way we wanted on non-iPhone X devices, therefore we're exploring other options. Though the two-finger flick gesture is reliable, we want to enable one-handed use across the entire app which is why we're exploring other options. If we do not find a reliable one-handed solution we will stick with the 2-finger flick up gesture.

Thanks!
Ashley

Re: Version 39 3D touch for export text?

 

Hi Chuck,

Not every device has 3D touch capability but for those that do this is a great idea!

Thanks for sharing!
Ashley

Re: Build 39

 

Thanks, Justin! We're removing this feature as there's a number of issues, it's especially bad for non-iPhone X users.

Nice hearing from you!
Ashley

Re: Build 39

 

Here are my comments on build 0.1-39:



1. I'm not too fussed about how contractions are pronounced but the current implementation of speaking them normally seems to be working fine and I know many others prefer how it's now working. I still hope you can have words entered manually containing hyphens, apostrophes, ampersands, or other special characters completely pronounced when swiping right to complete the entry. Now, and for all builds as far as I'm aware, Voiceover only speaks what was entered after the special character.

2. Add me to the list of those who don't like the single finger swipe up gesture to invoke the menu. I'm too getting unpredictable results with this gesture interfering with the other duties it performs such as adding a word to your custom dictionary. I also got the control panel invoked when attempting to add a manually typed word to my custom dictionary via a single finger swipe up. I don't have an iPhone X nor do I expect I ever will unless that's all they sell but the 2 finger swipe up to invoke the menu has always worked just fine for me but I admit I never much use that gesture to invoke Voiceover reading from top to bottom.



I'm still running an iPhone 7 with iOS 11.3.



Thanks for all your hard work.



Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of FlickType
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:35 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 39



Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!



In this release:

- Fixed incorrect word announcements when punctuation announcement was off. Words with an apostrophe would be split into two parts, as if the apostrophe became a space. For example, "don't" would be pronounced as "don tee".

- Apostrophes and hyphens will no longer be included in word announcements, unless there is potential for confusion between candidates. For example, the contraction for "it is" will always include the apostrophe in the announcement, to distinguish from the possessive "its". But words like "isn't", "doesn't" and "don't" will be announced normally, without the apostrophe being spoken.

- Apostrophes and hyphens will no longer be included in word deletion announcements.

- Fixed incorrect announcement when deleting a new line.



Please report all your feedback by replying to this topic. Thank you for testing FlickType!



Kosta & Ashley

Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Chuck Dean
 

Hello,
I have an iPhone ate, and when I flip up from the bottom, it opens the control panel. This is not normal behavior for the iPhone. Normally in order to open the control panel, I have to tap on the status bar. And then flick up with three fingers.
For some reason is gesture is bypassing the normal VoiceOver jesters

Chuck

On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
I like the single flick up from bottom gesture to bring up the menu, but I also agree that the two finger flick up should remain in place. I don't have an iPhone 10, but I thought that gestures to bring up the home screen and app switcher require a tap, hold and slide movement whereas bringing up the FlickType menu is a quick flick motion above where the physical home button would be. Am I wrong, and if so, could someone explain? If I am correct, it seems that FlickType should be able to distinguish between these seemingly different gestures. I also like the idea of 3-D touch being used to bring up export options.
Chanelle

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me. The two finger swipe up works 100% of the time. There was some mention of eliminating this gesture in the future. Unless a better gesture is found for opening the menu, I suggest it stays.


Chuck




Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Ed Worrell
 

Hello,

I was a fond user of the tap and hold gesture at the top of the screen. This could be done with one hand. The 3D Touch would be a great option for devices that support it. I personally think that the single finger tap and hold at the top of the screen was the best way to interact with the menu, but I guess Kasta said there was some issues with it on the iPhone X. I did not see the issues with it activating to low on the screen as he said a while back.

I love the progress you guys are making on the keyboard, thanks again for reviving the app.

Ed Worrell

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:40 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Chuck, Chanelle,

We appreciate the feedback. Due to a bug with iOS we were not able to implement the single flick up gesture the way we wanted on non-iPhone X devices, therefore we're exploring other options. Though the two-finger flick gesture is reliable, we want to enable one-handed use across the entire app which is why we're exploring other options. If we do not find a reliable one-handed solution we will stick with the 2-finger flick up gesture.

Thanks!
Ashley


Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Chuck Dean
 

Hello,
I have an iPhone ate, and I had problems with the tap and hold just you to open the menu on my phone. When I would try to enter symbols, and or numbers, from the top bro, if I was a little too high it would invoke the menu. I think this is one of the reasons why they change the gesture. I asked for a buffer zone, perhaps two lines of “no man’s land ““ that would enable me to use the top and still have that particular gesture.

Chuck

On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello,

I was a fond user of the tap and hold gesture at the top of the screen. This could be done with one hand. The 3D Touch would be a great option for devices that support it. I personally think that the single finger tap and hold at the top of the screen was the best way to interact with the menu, but I guess Kasta said there was some issues with it on the iPhone X. I did not see the issues with it activating to low on the screen as he said a while back.

I love the progress you guys are making on the keyboard, thanks again for reviving the app.

Ed Worrell

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:40 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Chuck, Chanelle,

We appreciate the feedback. Due to a bug with iOS we were not able to implement the single flick up gesture the way we wanted on non-iPhone X devices, therefore we're exploring other options. Though the two-finger flick gesture is reliable, we want to enable one-handed use across the entire app which is why we're exploring other options. If we do not find a reliable one-handed solution we will stick with the 2-finger flick up gesture.

Thanks!
Ashley




Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Ed Worrell
 

Hey Chuck,

If you hold one finger in the center of the dock on the home screen VoiceOver users will hear a try-tone sound this means you can now drag up with one finger, and by pass the VoiceOver status bar routine. This actually can be invoked in any application assuming you get that sweet spot. It seems to directly center above the home button.

Ed

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
I have an iPhone ate, and when I flip up from the bottom, it opens the control panel. This is not normal behavior for the iPhone. Normally in order to open the control panel, I have to tap on the status bar. And then flick up with three fingers.
For some reason is gesture is bypassing the normal VoiceOver jesters

Chuck


On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
I like the single flick up from bottom gesture to bring up the menu, but I also agree that the two finger flick up should remain in place. I don't have an iPhone 10, but I thought that gestures to bring up the home screen and app switcher require a tap, hold and slide movement whereas bringing up the FlickType menu is a quick flick motion above where the physical home button would be. Am I wrong, and if so, could someone explain? If I am correct, it seems that FlickType should be able to distinguish between these seemingly different gestures. I also like the idea of 3-D touch being used to bring up export options.
Chanelle

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me. The two finger swipe up works 100% of the time. There was some mention of eliminating this gesture in the future. Unless a better gesture is found for opening the menu, I suggest it stays.


Chuck




Re: I notice when I delete partial words, mistakes for example, FlickType does not announce the delete, ...

 

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for reporting, we're looking into the delete issue. Just to clarify when you say you turned on audio ducking do you mean in the voiceover audio settings in iOS?

Thanks!
Ashley

Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Chuck Dean
 

I just tried this a few times, and I cannot get to work.

Chuck

On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:56 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hey Chuck,

If you hold one finger in the center of the dock on the home screen VoiceOver users will hear a try-tone sound this means you can now drag up with one finger, and by pass the VoiceOver status bar routine. This actually can be invoked in any application assuming you get that sweet spot. It seems to directly center above the home button.

Ed

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
I have an iPhone ate, and when I flip up from the bottom, it opens the control panel. This is not normal behavior for the iPhone. Normally in order to open the control panel, I have to tap on the status bar. And then flick up with three fingers.
For some reason is gesture is bypassing the normal VoiceOver jesters

Chuck


On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
I like the single flick up from bottom gesture to bring up the menu, but I also agree that the two finger flick up should remain in place. I don't have an iPhone 10, but I thought that gestures to bring up the home screen and app switcher require a tap, hold and slide movement whereas bringing up the FlickType menu is a quick flick motion above where the physical home button would be. Am I wrong, and if so, could someone explain? If I am correct, it seems that FlickType should be able to distinguish between these seemingly different gestures. I also like the idea of 3-D touch being used to bring up export options.
Chanelle

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me. The two finger swipe up works 100% of the time. There was some mention of eliminating this gesture in the future. Unless a better gesture is found for opening the menu, I suggest it stays.


Chuck






Re: I notice when I delete partial words, mistakes for example, FlickType does not announce the delete, ...

Chuck Dean
 

Yes, I turned on audio ducking in the VoiceOver settings,

Chuck

On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:58 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for reporting, we're looking into the delete issue. Just to clarify when you say you turned on audio ducking do you mean in the voiceover audio settings in iOS?

Thanks!
Ashley


Re: As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me.

Ed Worrell
 

Hey Chuck,

To me the sweet spot seems to be at the very edge of the home button. Basicallyright where the home button meets the touch screen.

Ed

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:59 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I just tried this a few times, and I cannot get to work.

Chuck


On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:56 AM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hey Chuck,

If you hold one finger in the center of the dock on the home screen VoiceOver users will hear a try-tone sound this means you can now drag up with one finger, and by pass the VoiceOver status bar routine. This actually can be invoked in any application assuming you get that sweet spot. It seems to directly center above the home button.

Ed

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
I have an iPhone ate, and when I flip up from the bottom, it opens the control panel. This is not normal behavior for the iPhone. Normally in order to open the control panel, I have to tap on the status bar. And then flick up with three fingers.
For some reason is gesture is bypassing the normal VoiceOver jesters

Chuck


On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:24 AM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
I like the single flick up from bottom gesture to bring up the menu, but I also agree that the two finger flick up should remain in place. I don't have an iPhone 10, but I thought that gestures to bring up the home screen and app switcher require a tap, hold and slide movement whereas bringing up the FlickType menu is a quick flick motion above where the physical home button would be. Am I wrong, and if so, could someone explain? If I am correct, it seems that FlickType should be able to distinguish between these seemingly different gestures. I also like the idea of 3-D touch being used to bring up export options.
Chanelle

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:34, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

As I play with the menu gesture, I feel that the single finger flick up will not work for me. The two finger swipe up works 100% of the time. There was some mention of eliminating this gesture in the future. Unless a better gesture is found for opening the menu, I suggest it stays.


Chuck






Re: Build 39

 

Appreciate the feedback, Alan!

1) We've been waiting for feedback on the contractions, glad you like the change. As for the manual entry, we still have that on our list but trying to fix higher priority issues now.

2) We are removing the single finger flick from the bottom of the screen, as it did not work as intended due to a bug in iOS.

Update coming soon!
Ashley