Re: Build 71

Matthew Janusauskas

I respectfully disagree with Ed’s comments. I am finding the current gestures to be simple, logical and somewhat intuitive. They are working well for me and I am using an iPhone X.

Matthew

On May 25, 2018, at 2:23 PM, Ed Worrell <ed.worrell@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I am not really a fan of the new sgestures introduced in this build. I am having some very big issue with the flick and hold gestures. I don’t mind the new line gesture, that seems to work well. I how ever don;t know why we keep going back to the one finger flick and hold gestures in the keyboard to dismiss, and switch back to the iOs keyboard. We tried these in the first rebuilds of the keyboard app and they were problematic then. I think that if those gestures make it out the public, if infact the do, there will be tons of issues. People will stop uising the keyboard as they will always acsidently invoking the control center or draggin the notification center down. I have done this on my iPhone10 several times on this build. I really think that the three finger swipes were better suited for the purpose of switching to the iOS keyboard or dismissing the keyboard. I find the one finger swipe and hold to be much slower of a step then simply dragging down with three fingers. I might actually revert back to the last build as the current state of the gestures really isn;t any better then the previous to me. I however do like the new gestures to switch to symbols and numbers. The capitalization gesture was a little hard to understand at first, but I am good with it know. I do think it woud be nice to make the function more like a true shift as in resetting to lower case letters after one letter is ttyped. Maybe a three finger tap could be used to invoke a caps lock mode. I really simply don;t like the dismisial gestures of the current build.

Sorry for the long email.

Ed
On May 25, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Kosta,

Will we not need the iOS keyboard active in a text message to have a send button? Thanks.

Benny

On May 25, 2018, at 12:04 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback.

There are known issues with casing of letters, including the fact that the two finger single tap should act as a shift rather than a caps lock. All that will be addressed soon, and thankfully these are the easier problems to solve.

The repetition of some text is an odd one, but I suspect it has to do with new lines. New lines have proven to be quite tricky due to how iOS handles them but hopefully we’ll be able to address the issue. Any specific steps to reproduce would be helpful. Also this may be more likely to happen on an iPhone X when moving the voiceover cursor focus from the keyboard to the area below it where the next keyboard button sits.

Perhaps the most important area that we’d like more feedback on are the gestures. If a particular gesture is not working for you, please describe as specifically as possible what happens when you attempt to perform that gesture. For example, if you end up accidentally triggering another gesture, please tell us what that other gesture is, and any additional information that might be helpful for us to consider as we review the current mapping of gestures to actions. Similarly, if you feel that some gesture is hard to remember, or you’d prefer a different gesture, please explain your reasoning in as much detail as possible. There are a lot of factors we need to consider, and the more specific input we have, the better.

Regarding the most frequent way to exit the FlickType keyboard, we are hoping that most people will be dismissing the keyboard entirely rather than switch to the iOS keyboard. If you keep needing to switch to the iOS keyboard, please let us know why so we can assess if there’s something we can improve in FlickType so you don’t have to switch as much. Note that text replacement shortcuts and full emoji support are coming soon, although dictation isn’t. Hopefully the combination of emoji, text replacements, cursor control by word or sentence and the new read back function mean that you don’t have to switch to iOS as often, but we’d love to know if you think you will still need to do that on a regular basis.

Warmly,
Kosta and Ashley

On May 25, 2018, at 08:52, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:

Kosta,

I love the new build, but I am having a few issues that I am listing below.

1. A two finger single tap in letters works as a caps lock rather than a shift key. I tend to forget to go back to lower case after I go into upper case and type a letter. I wished it only worked as a shift key for a letter at a time and we had another gesture to do a caps lock.
2. There is a little inconsistency in announcing whether a letter is upper case or lower case. When starting to touch type at the beginning of a document, the first letter does not announce as upper case until I lift my finger. The same is true when starting a new sentence in touch typing after a period. The first letter only announces cap after you lift your finger. If you 2 finger single tap to put you into upper case though, the letter is announced as a cap as soon as you touch the screen. That is more preferable to me.
3. When deleting letters I would like to know when I am deleting an upper case letter. The delete feedback is the same for lower case and upper case. Thanks so much.

Benny

On May 24, 2018, at 7:17 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

- Merged touch typing and flick typing styles. There is no longer a spacebar, delete, style toggle or shift key when exploring the keyboard. If you are in numbers or symbols, entering a space will always return you to letters.
- Magic tap to toggle the primary layout, between letters and numbers.
- Single tap with two fingers to toggle the secondary layout. In letters, this switches between lowercase and uppercase. In numbers, it switches between numbers and symbols.
- Added emoji shortcuts 😎. Flick right to enter a period, then flick up. These will be configurable in the future.
- Flick down and hold to dismiss, or up and hold for next keyboard.
- Flick right and hold for new line / return.
- Three finger tap and hold to read back.