Re: Build 69

I agree with Macky on preferring the magic tap gesture to switch between FlickTyping and touch typing. I always prefer a toggle action and using the magic tap to switch between these two seems more logical than having a touch and hold to switch to touch typing and  then having to find the key to the left of the spacebar to switch back to FlickTyping. Never mind that changing to this different gesture regime occurred at the same time I experienced the problem I'm having with being unable to get back to FlickTyping which I've already posted about.

Alan Lemly

From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf Of Macster
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 8:46 AM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlickType-alpha] Build 69

I think there is a split in the camp here, but I preferred the double tap gesture to enable the touch typing mode and the press and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard. My reasoning for this is the double tap is quicker and I invariably would be changing between flick and touch much more than flick and iOS. It just seemed more responsive to me that way and it also eliminated the need to feel around for the dedicated change back to flick typing button at the bottom. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, just personal preference. Macky

On 20 May 2018, at 09:55, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I'm a little on the fence about the choice of gestures. I do definitely prefer the tap and hold to the magic tap, but the fact that you can't use the same gesture to go back from the touch typing mode to the flick mode is arguably a problem. My brain would prefer if I could use the same gesture to go both ways.

I really like what you've done in this build though, in that I can tap and hold, and navigate to the key I want, all in one go. Superb.

I too like the idea of a half screen option. But I also see that this could be difficult for some users. Many people cannot see enough to be as targeted as others in there taps, so the full screen keyboard allows them much more ability to type successfully. So if implemented, it would have to be optional. The same fact is true for the discussion yesterday about typing accuracy. Of course user training and practice is necessary, but its easier for those of us who have some usable sight to be accurate than those who don't. So lets not dismiss the need to keep that conversation in mind.

Dave

On 20 May 2018, at 03:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

This is another reason for the half screen keyboard. If the top half is the iOS screen, we could use the rotor to edit text and to change the cursor position; leaving the FlickType area for the same gestures as the app's keyboard.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 7:03 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

If thats the case , after flicking right for space, can we have a flick gesture down for symbles  and numbers ?