Re: Build 69

Matthew Janusauskas

I have also experienced this with my iPhone X.

On May 20, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

 Hi Kosta,

as you may have noticed, after I reviewed my text with the three finger swipe down, I returned to type some more. The cursor moved to the top, and my last sentence was repeated.

I replicated this problem while trying to reply, and I am now trying to figure out what is happening.

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 8:47 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

Hi Ed,

What you propose sounds good. I’d probably still add a numbers and symbols button on the main layout so that people who don’t know about the magic tap gesture can still switch to numbers and symbols in an intuitive way, even if it’s slower. After all, I believe the magic tap in iOS is only meant to be a shortcut to trigger an action that can also be performed in a traditional way, so I think we should maintain that principle here too.

Regardless, reassigning the magic tap to the above does mean that there will need to be another gesture to switch to the iOS keyboard, which does bring me to my following point: like Chuck just wrote, if what you’re looking to do is review your text and possibly send it, you can always do that by dismissing the keyboard entirely rather than switching to the iOS one. This way you can also more easily resume typing in flicktype by simply double tapping on the text field again. In fact, I’d love to know more about the most common use cases that absolutely require you to switch to the iOS keyboard. The one case that flicktype might never be able to cover is dictation, unless Apple eventually allows 3rd party keyboards to access the microphone. Another case right now is text replacement shortcuts, but these will be soon available in FlickType as well. Same goes for emoji. The standard iOS predictions above the keyboard are also not currently available in FlickType, and I’d love to know if and how much people use those. And again, to review the text using the traditional voiceover methods you can simply dismiss FlickType altogether by flicking down with 3 fingers.

Kosta

On May 20, 2018, at 08:26, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

This process takes a lot of trial and error, and I admire your patience. Btw I discovered the three finger swipe down to dismiss the keyboard works fantastic to review what I had just typed... I just have to remember that it is available.
😎
Hi Kosta,

personally I think the permanent typing mode with the flick right to exit would work best for me. Most of my use of manual entry is for caps and numbers.

The tap and hold to enter symbols works great for me, and I was against it at first. This process takes a lot of trial and error, and I admire your patience.

Chuck

On May 20, 2018, at 7:44 AM, FlickType <hello@...> wrote:

I am indeed working towards making the two styles seamless. The key for that is seamless entry into, as well as seamless exit out of touch typing. Seamless entry can be achieved with what I think is the most intuitive gesture of holding down your finger to explore, since you’ll have to do that anyway to select your desired character.

For seamless exit, there are two options at the top of my list:

One is making the touch typing entry be temporary, for a single character only, so as soon as you release your finger your are back into flick typing. This is similar to the app, but also if you release on the numbers and symbols key you’d remain in touch typing mode in the numbers and symbols layout, returning back to flick typing as soon as you enter a single character. Some downsides with this are: First, you can’t easily type multiple numbers and symbols in one go. To type a phone number for example, you’d have to tap, hold, and release on the numbers button, before being able to select each and every digit of the phone number. Second downside is that the touch typing gestures that only affect one character at a time, for example cursor move by character or changing the case of a character, would not be available since you’d always be in flick typing mode unless you are holding your finger down to explore. There are some workarounds for this though: one is to contextually bring those character gestures in flick typing mode, where the result of the exact same flick gesture would depend on whether you’ve last typed a single character or an entire word. This also would be similar to the app, where for example flick left to delete may delete a character. The other workaround is to take advantage of the fact that releasing on the numbers button leaves you in the touch typing mode without holding down anything anymore, so those character gestures could be performed there.

The other seamless exit option is indeed the flick right, or space key, or both. You very likely will be doing that anyway, and you can always keep touch typing the next word too if you want. And until you exit by flicking right, you can perform all the character gestures too. I call this the permanent touch typing mode, as opposed to temporary above. Chanelle, you mentioned that this wouldn’t work for you because you use touch typing to enter a lot of symbols, can you please elaborate, perhaps with some examples?

A hybrid approach could involve the first temporary option where you always return back to flick typing after a single character, unless you go to numbers and symbols. And if you do go to numbers and symbols, you could stay there permanently until a flick right.

I should also note that there are plenty more details to figure out here, as well as many other ways to achieve the desired features. Also the more the two styles blend into each other, the more it makes sense to call them something else, like word mode vs character mode.

Happy to hear your thoughts,
Kosta

On May 20, 2018, at 07:02, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

Hi Macky,

the advantage though of the tap and hold to switch is that you can switch to manual and slide to the key you want, all in one fluid motion, making it much like the experience of manual typing in the main app. This is a huge step forward in my own opinion.

For me, the interesting question is in finding the best way to get back to the flick mode again. And perhaps Benny is onto an idea that can be developed.

Personally I would also like a one finger gesture to dismiss the keyboard, as I like to operate the phone one handed, using my thumb, as much as possible.

That's my thoughts anyway. As you say, its interesting to read the different preferences in the group.

Dave

On 20 May 2018, at 14:45, Macster <alan.macdonald1@...> wrote:

I think there is a split in the camp here, but I preferred the double tap gesture to enable the touch typing mode and the press and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard. My reasoning for this is the double tap is quicker and I invariably would be changing between flick and touch much more than flick and iOS. It just seemed more responsive to me that way and it also eliminated the need to feel around for the dedicated change back to flick typing button at the bottom. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, just personal preference. Macky

On 20 May 2018, at 09:55, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I'm a little on the fence about the choice of gestures. I do definitely prefer the tap and hold to the magic tap, but the fact that you can't use the same gesture to go back from the touch typing mode to the flick mode is arguably a problem. My brain would prefer if I could use the same gesture to go both ways.

I really like what you've done in this build though, in that I can tap and hold, and navigate to the key I want, all in one go. Superb.

I too like the idea of a half screen option. But I also see that this could be difficult for some users. Many people cannot see enough to be as targeted as others in there taps, so the full screen keyboard allows them much more ability to type successfully. So if implemented, it would have to be optional. The same fact is true for the discussion yesterday about typing accuracy. Of course user training and practice is necessary, but its easier for those of us who have some usable sight to be accurate than those who don't. So lets not dismiss the need to keep that conversation in mind.

Dave

On 20 May 2018, at 03:08, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

This is another reason for the half screen keyboard. If the top half is the iOS screen, we could use the rotor to edit text and to change the cursor position; leaving the FlickType area for the same gestures as the app's keyboard.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 7:03 PM, George Cham <George.cham@...> wrote:

If thats the case , after flicking right for space, can we have a flick gesture down for symbles  and numbers ?