Re: Build 68

Sharon Kim

Hello all,
Okay I have to say I am so not a fan for this latest update. to say
I'm not a fan would be an understatement.
1. The hold and tap gesture, has to go. The magic tap was much better.
Mostly because it was much quicker, and much more responsive.
2. also, there is now ay to switch keyboards, once you enter flick
type. It is very annoying, especially since I'm used to the tap and
hold gesture to switch to the next keyboard, and that is now gone.
I know it's a work in progress, but over all, not a fan. I've reverted
to using the main app due to this last change.

On 5/19/18, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:
On a note regarding accuracy, I've noticed that the custom keyboard still
seems a bit laggy. if I type reasonably fast, it misses almost all the
letters. I need to crawl type to get things to show up properly.

Not complaining, just pointing it out.
As always thx Kosta and Ashley for a solid release nonetheless. A lot of
potential here. :)

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
wrote:

Hi Dave and List,
I am having problems with typing accuracy today. Shorter words often take
FlickType a few tries to guess, but even words that it gets right are
taking some time to come up. A while back, I think that I also had a
problem with the word "read." longer words are always easier for FlickType
to guess. Sometimes, my problem is not spacing out my taps correctly,
because I am more accustomed to the iOS keyboard occupying less of the
screen. Aiming correctly requires more concentration though, and once I
get going, the typing engine and I become less in sync. The feature that
learns our particular typing habits will be a real time saver once it is
developed.
It's interesting that Dabe's difficult FlickType words are being less
troublesome today while I am experiencing more problems. For me, the words
FlickType has difficulty guessing vary by day. Today, they are "guess" and
"words. " Another reason I could be struggling a bit has to do with the
fact that in other emails, I had to switch frequently to touch typing. The
magic tap gesture for switching modes just made so much more sense to me,
but soon the issue will be irrelevant.
Until Dave mentioned the subject, I did not want FlickType to attempt to
guess or suggest words based on context. In the light of improving typing
accuracy, I have changed my opinion. Anything that speeds up
writing/typing is very welcome.
Chanelle

On May 19, 2018, at 12:34, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

On a separate note, how are people finding the accuracy of the typing
engine itself these days? I'm sure it's an ongoing part of the
development.
For me, its mostly really good, but I do still sometimes run into
frustrations. Long words are generally very successful, so long as I know
how to spell the word.
I do still have some problems at times with shorter words, where of
course there are far more possible words for the engine to recommend. In
recent days for example, I recall trying to type the words "read" and
"date", and for whatever reason, for the life of me, I could not get the
engine to suggest them, even with multiple swipes down. But just now, I
was able to type them just fine.
Some of this is clearly down to the user, but frustrating when it does
happen. I wonder if there is scope for the engine, while still primarily
making its recommendations based on the typing pattern, to have some
level of context based predictions, like the iOS keyboard does, albeit
implemented very differently.
On the whole I'm extremely happy with it though.

Dave
On 19 May 2018, at 17:31, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Btw to insert a new line using the custom keyboard, do a single tap and
hold, which will open the touch typing keyboard, now find the return key
in the bottom right corner and tap. Your new line will be entered, like
this,

I just put in three new lines.
To go back to the custom keyboard, fine the style key, which is on the
bottom, and is the second key from the left between the more numbers key
and the space key.

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello Alex, you are indeed the lucky guy, as I tried to duplicate your
problem, and could not.
I did notice the landscape lock, left, did not work in the custom
keyboard. In other words, the setting had no effect on the custom
keyboard. When I went back to the app, the keyboard was locked in
landscape, left.
By guess is landscape lock is only in the app version.
I hope this helps,

Chuck

On May 19, 2018, at 8:50 AM, Alex Hiironen <l000b2a@...> wrote:

Hey Kosta and all, so far I am getting used to this new way of
topping. However, there are two things still annoying me. First, I
still can't get new lines to work in the custom keyboards. Second, I
am still having issues with the main app just not showing up properly.
I completely removed FlickType and waited days to install it again, no
dice. I have my orientation set to landscape left and it's showing up
in portrait of or only taking up the first half of the screen. When I
open settings, it will eventually switch to landscape as it should
appear. Is anyone else experience this issue, or am I the lucky guy
for this bug? Cheers and as always thanks for such frequent updates.

Alex

On May 19, 2018, at 7:07 AM, Chanelle Allen
<chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta, Ashley, and Group,
it's impressive that Kosta has gotten another FlickType release out
to us so quickly. Thank you. Here are my initial thoughts.
The new flick gestures--especially the one to capitalize a letter are
useful. Using FlickType touch typing to go back by character to
ensure a word is capitalized or spelled correctly is convenient.
I preferred the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and
touch typing modes. Frequently when touch typing, I accidentally
press the "typing style" when intending to press space or the "more
numbers" button. I might be in the minority, but for me, it would be
nice to go back to having the magic tap gesture switch between modes.
With time, I can become accustomed to anything though. I thought that
FlickType was taking a while to come up with the right word for me in
the flick typing mode, but I think that it is me just taking time to
get warmed up to the keyboard. I will report back if I have further
trouble.
Chanelle

On May 19, 2018, at 02:39, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you for the feedback, we always read all of your posts to the
group, so please keep it coming. This is still work-in-progress, and
eventually there will be a manual input mode similar to the main
app.

Touch Typing related changes:
- Swapped magic tap and tap and hold gestures for changing keyboard
or typing style. When Touch Typing, there is now a button to change
back to Flick Typing. Note that upon entering Touch Typing, you will
need to release your touch and tap again to start exploring. This is
annoying but will be addressed soon.
- Added one and two finger flick gestures when Touch Typing. Flick
left will delete the last character, flick right will add a space,
flick up and down will change the current character's case. Two
finger flick left or right will move the cursor by character.
- Fixed inverted shift state announcement bug
- Shift will automatically be selected and unselected as needed.
- Character echo will now respect the setting from the main app
- Added word echo