Re: Build 67

Benny Barber

I use both character and word echo. Thanks.

On May 18, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello Kosta, Ashley, and Group,
this is an excellent FlickType build! I like the magic tap gesture for switching between flick and touch typing; it was a brilliant idea, and tapping twice with two fingers is so easy and familiar. Here are my thoughts (the only message I have read thus far is Kosta's).
If possible, at some point later in the future after other plans/features have been implemented, I would like the ability to disable echoing of entered characters while touch typing. This is more of a nit picky request, but hopefully, my FlickType keyboard experience will be as similar to my iOS VoiceOver touch typing settings as reasonably possible. I have VoiceOver typing feedback set to words. There are some people on this list who prefer typing feedback set to characters, so a customizable setting would be useful.
I have noticed that my text replacements do not work when using FlickType touch typing. I assume that this problem will be addressed soon if you are not already aware of it.
Thank you again for developing another great FlickType release.
Chanelle

On May 18, 2018, at 01:03, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

This is the very first, and still quite experimental, version of the manual typing functionality. The approach we are taking is to start from the basics, and expand as we go. As a first step, we simply bring the Touch Typing style of the regular iOS keyboard right within FlickType, and make it fast and easy to toggle between Flick Typing and Touch Typing using the magic tap gesture. If you are not familiar, a magic tap is a double tap with two fingers, and is used to perform the so-called "most-intended" action, regardless of what element the VoiceOver cursor is currently focused on.

Notes:
- You cannot yet use any flick gestures when Touch Typing, but you will be able to in the future.
- You can now enter a new line with the Return key, just like with the iOS keyboard. When you go back to Flick Typing, new lines will currently not be announced when moving the cursor.
- The voice feedback for entered characters does not have a different pitch.
- You can only switch to the iOS keyboard when Flick Typing.

As you can tell, this is very different from the way manual input works in the main app. We're doing this for a couple of reasons: One is to make it easier for new users to fall back to a familiar typing style when needed. Two, manually typing longer words should be easier and faster this way. We might not be there yet, but this is the reasoning behind the approach.