Re: Build 67

Sharon Kim

Okay so as of now, I'm a total fan of this newest update.
It makes it so much easier to manually type in a word, much easier
than switching between keyboards and all that.
I love it!!! yes, word echo after hitting space would indeed help, but
I'm sure there will be more changes to come. so far though, I just
have to say brilliant!!! Okay sorry for the raving, I'm done.

On 5/18/18, Benny Barber <rebelben@...> wrote:
Also, can we have word echo after a space? Thanks.

Benny

On May 18, 2018, at 1:03 AM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

This is the very first, and still quite experimental, version of the
manual typing functionality. The approach we are taking is to start from
the basics, and expand as we go. As a first step, we simply bring the
Touch Typing style of the regular iOS keyboard right within FlickType, and
make it fast and easy to toggle between Flick Typing and Touch Typing
using the magic tap gesture. If you are not familiar, a magic tap is a
double tap with two fingers, and is used to perform the so-called
"most-intended" action, regardless of what element the VoiceOver cursor is
currently focused on.

Notes:
- You cannot yet use any flick gestures when Touch Typing, but you will be
able to in the future.
- You can now enter a new line with the Return key, just like with the iOS
keyboard. When you go back to Flick Typing, new lines will currently not
be announced when moving the cursor.
- The voice feedback for entered characters does not have a different
pitch.
- You can only switch to the iOS keyboard when Flick Typing.

As you can tell, this is very different from the way manual input works in
the main app. We're doing this for a couple of reasons: One is to make it
easier for new users to fall back to a familiar typing style when needed.
Two, manually typing longer words should be easier and faster this way. We
might not be there yet, but this is the reasoning behind the approach.