Re: Build 67

Macster

Wow, great job Kosta! The manual keyboard works a treat. Its crisp and changing between the flick keyboard and manual mode is very responsive too. I said the manual keyboard will tip the scales for me using the custom version more than the app and that has already been the case this morning since installation. Its now only a matter of time before I delete the standard keyboard from my active list.

I've only found a couple of drawbacks so far...

1 - if there is a word in my dictionary that sometimes needs a capital and sometimes does not, ie mark and my nephew's name Mark, there isn't a way to capitalize the M using the flick keyboard at the moment, so I have to type it manually. Is there a way around this?

2 - The first time I used the shift key, the letters didn't say cap before entry but they do now. Not sure what happened on the maiden voyage. The shift key itself however announces the state of what the next press will be, instead of what the press that has just occurred has done. It works perfectly, but maybe the announcement could be reversed?

3 - This isn't a bug as such, but I have the echo effect set to off in the app but the echo is present in the manual keyboard.. Could this be connected so the echo can be turned off?

The punctuation is fantastic and is in the same layout as the standard keyboard so no problems finding anything, and I think the manual keyboard is more responsive than the standard one already so good job!

I know you said this is the early stages but it's already very useable. Thank you.

Macky

On 18 May 2018, at 07:03, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

This is the very first, and still quite experimental, version of the manual typing functionality. The approach we are taking is to start from the basics, and expand as we go. As a first step, we simply bring the Touch Typing style of the regular iOS keyboard right within FlickType, and make it fast and easy to toggle between Flick Typing and Touch Typing using the magic tap gesture. If you are not familiar, a magic tap is a double tap with two fingers, and is used to perform the so-called "most-intended" action, regardless of what element the VoiceOver cursor is currently focused on.

Notes:
- You cannot yet use any flick gestures when Touch Typing, but you will be able to in the future.
- You can now enter a new line with the Return key, just like with the iOS keyboard. When you go back to Flick Typing, new lines will currently not be announced when moving the cursor.
- The voice feedback for entered characters does not have a different pitch.
- You can only switch to the iOS keyboard when Flick Typing.

As you can tell, this is very different from the way manual input works in the main app. We're doing this for a couple of reasons: One is to make it easier for new users to fall back to a familiar typing style when needed. Two, manually typing longer words should be easier and faster this way. We might not be there yet, but this is the reasoning behind the approach.