Re: Build 63 and beta release plan

Chanelle Allen

Hello Kosta and list,
I agree with others that say this FlickType build should be released to the beta group. I sympathize with the concern that FlickType could be portrayed negatively; on the other hand, Kosta and Ashley have put in so much work already into making FlickType a usable keyboard once you get the hang of it. The learning curve may be steep, so maybe beta users should know that in advance to make an informed decision, but we don't want to discourage anyone at the same time. With practice, integrating FlickType into the flow of your iDevice activity becomes less effortless.
I can't reproduce the FlickType glitch that I experienced the other day. Still, maybe beta users should be told to use the rotor only when the FlickType keyboard is not being used. For example, if I wanted to change the volume or rate of VoiceOver, I would switch to the iOS keyboard from FlickType, adjust the rotor, and switch back. Right now, the rotor gesture has no effect when the FlickType keyboard is in use, which is a great thing, so it could be that I turned off direct touch in another app.
I am not sure if this could be considered as a known issue, but when switching from the FlickType keyboard to the iOS keyboard, I must remember to input a space before manually typing a word or number.
I hope that the beta release is successful!
Chanelle

On May 10, 2018, at 10:48, Matthew Janusauskas <mjanusauskas@...> wrote:

Hi Kosta,

I will be happy to help answer questions in the beta group and to help however I can.

Regards,

Matthew

On May 9, 2018, at 9:16 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Hi all,

The only change in this build, apart from some internal code reshuffling, is to announce the need to open the main FlickType app before the first use of the custom keyboard. As you can probably guess, we are very eager to share this build with the larger beta group, smile. To do this, we need to cover three things:

First, we need to make sure that there's no major usability issues, apart from the functionality that's still missing. If something is majorly broken, or if things are working perfectly, please let us know either way.
Second, we need to make sure that the experience for new users is acceptable, keeping in mind this is still very much in beta. To ensure a good on-boarding experience, we'd love your input on the updated instructions here: https://flicktype.groups.io/g/alpha/wiki/FlickType-custom-keyboard . If there's anything that doesn't make sense, is missing, or could otherwise be expressed more clearly, please let us know. And if there's any issues you notice with the update flow from the App Store build to this build, we'd love to know that as well.
Finally, we expect a large number of questions to come from the beta group during the first few days. If anyone would like to help us answer the common questions, please let us know so we can make you a moderator in the beta group. We'd love to have as much help there as possible, smile.

And if there's anything else you want to bring up regarding the upcoming beta release, we'd love to hear. In the event that everything is ready and working smoothly, we'd love to release to beta as soon as tomorrow, smile.

Thank you,
Kosta & Ashley

PS: I will shortly answer your questions and comments from the last day or so in a separate email.