Re: Build 61.

David Nason

Chuck, that is nothing short of genius! I use text replacement, but had never thought of using it in that way. Thanks for the tip sir 😀

Dave

On 9 May 2018, at 05:37, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

Thanks for your input guys.
It sounds like I wasn't the only one and there indeed is a bug in iOS
as far as that is concerned. Removing the Emoji keyboard, definitely
is one workaround.

Salman

On 5/8/18, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:
Go to settings: general: keyboards: and select text replacement, which used
to be called shortcuts.

Now tap add.
In the phrase text field, you can put any thing you want to enter quickly,
such as; addresses, emails, phone numbers, words or sentences you use
frequently. And also emoji.

Once you have entered the text or emoji, go to the next text box called
shortcuts... Optional.
I usually use a two letter shortcut; for example my smiley face with
sunglasses is s s..
Now go to the upper right and tap save.
Now when you enter your two letter shortcut and then hit space. The phrase
will be entered.
Good luck.

Chuck

On May 8, 2018, at 4:40 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...>
wrote:

Hello,
My problems with switching keyboards were resolved after removing the
emoji keyboard as chuck did. When I switch between keyboards, I am still
not confident that my cursor will be in the correct location, but
FlickType is consistent. Alternating between keyboards while typing is
quick and nearly seamless. When I switch to the iOS keyboard for editing
and VoiceOver begins reading aloud, I worry that the insertion point will
change unless I am quick enough to set the rotor to characters or words
and begin flicking. I am just discovering how easy it is to use the
VoiceOver rotor while reading through the message contents, switch to
FlickType keyboard, and immediately begin typing at the cursor location.
Sometimes, when I switch between keyboards I forget to add a space
manually on the iOS keyboard before typing out a word. In transitioning
between the iOS keyboard and FlickType, however, a space is automatically
inserted. If I have entered something manually on the iOS keyboard, I
press space before switching back to FlickType, but if I am inserting
text, typing a space before switching keyboards is not needed. By the way,
chuck, how did you create emoji replacements?
I am so glad to be typing with the FlickType keyboard in responding to
this and other emails. Thanks again, Kosta.
Chanelle

On May 8, 2018, at 17:55, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I was having similar problems switching keyboards, so I remove the emoji
keyboard from the list completely. I had a bunch of text replacement
shortcuts with emoji‘s in them, and they have been retained. Considering
that I don’t use the emoji keyboard anyways anymore. I don’t think I need
it on my list. Now I only have Fliktype and the English US keyboard in
the list. Works much better!

Chuck

On May 8, 2018, at 3:43 PM, Salman Haider
<salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

I do want to add that the new release is working quite well for me
otherwise. Especially from the standpoint of prediction. It is as good
as the app itself, for me anyway. The only reason that I refrain from
using the FlickType custom keyboard generally is, the one I explained in
my previous email. The unpredictability and inconsistency of switching
back and forth between keyboards that is. Especially when I need to edit
text or add words that are not in the FlickType dictionary. Great job to
the FlickType team on making such good progress with every update. If
only this keyboard switching issue could be resolved somehow. And again,
it probably has nothing to do with FlickType. Its probably an iOS bug.
Salman

On May 8, 2018, at 6:35 PM, Salman Haider
<salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

One of the issues that I consistently encounter is, when I perform the
tap and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard, sometimes I get the
emoji keyboard instead of the iOS keyboard. Other times, I get back to
the iOS keyboard like I should. I do not know why this is, but it
certainly causes a lot of irritation. Also, sometimes when I double tap
the next keyboard option on the iOS keyboard, it switches to the emoji
keyboard, even though the FlickType keyboard is the one that should come
up as that is next in the order of keyboards I have. I do not think that
these behaviors have anything to do with FlickType itself, rather the
implementation of custom keyboards in iOS. But I am curious to know if
others are having this issue as well. Once again, I just want to
reiterate that I have changed the order of the keyboards in the iOS
settings as well. Yet, the tap and hold gesture continues to sometimes
bring up the emoji keyboard rather than the iOS keyboard. Not every
single time, but a lot of times. And also, the next keyboard, FlickType
button also sometimes brings up the emoji keyboard rather than the
FlickType keyboard. These behaviors have existed pretty much from the
first day that I installed the FlickType custom keyboard, so its not
version specific. If anyone can shed any light on this, or even has a
possible workaround or solution, it would be much appreciated.
Salman

On May 8, 2018, at 3:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Paul, I do that now by switching to the iOS keyboard with a single
tap and hold. Once I am in the iOS keyboard I can review my text
utilizing the the normal iPhone gestures. Then when I am ready to type,
I return to FlickType custom keyboard. The two keyboards play well
together.

Chuck

On May 8, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...>
wrote:

Hi everyone, build 61 is working really well for me. Obviously their
are the problem's that people have already addressed but for me it's
been a pretty good release. I would like to put an idea out there. I
don't know if it would work for everyone and to be honest I don't even
know if it is possible but I would love to hear other peoples views on
it. Its to do with reading back the text you have written. I was
thinking would it be possible to have some sort of gesture which when
performed, would then place FlickType in some sort of review mode. With
in this mode, other previous gestures that you use for FlickType would
now be used for other purposes. Just for example instead of a single
flick down accessing the suggestion list, you could be able to flick
between lines, words, sentences and things like that and when you are
finished you perform another gesture to return back to the standard
FlickType keyboard. As I said, I don't know if it would work but I
would find something like that useful.
Hi everyone, build 6 1 is working really well for me. Obviously their
are the problem's that people have already addressed but for me it's
been a pretty good release. I would like to put an idea out there. I
don't know if it would work for everyone and to be honest I don't even
know if it is possible but I would love to hear other peoples views on
it. Its to do with reading back the text you have written. I was
thinking would it be possible to have some sort of gesture which when
performed, would then place FlickType in some sort of review mode. With
in this mode, other traveler previous gestures that you use for
FlickType would now be used for other purposes. Just for example
instead of a single flick down accessing the suggestion list, you could
be able to flick between lines, words, sentences and things like that
and when you are finished you perform another gesture to return back to
the standard FlickType keyboard. As I said, I don't know if it would
work but I would find something like that useful.
Cheers, Paul. Hi everyone, build 6 1 is working really well for me.
Obviously their are the problem's that people have already addressed
but for me it's been a pretty good release. I would like to put an idea
out there. I don't know if it would work for everyone and to be honest
I don't even know if it is possible but I would love to hear other
peoples views on it. Its to do with reading back the text you have
written. I was thinking would it be possible to have some sort of
gesture which when performed, would then place FlickType in some sort
of review mode. With in this mode, other traveler previous gestures
that you use for FlickType would now be used for other purposes. Just
for example instead of a single flick down accessing the suggestion
list, you could be able to flick between lines, words, sentences and
things like that and when you are finished you perform another gesture
to return back to the standard FlickType keyboard. As I said, I don't
know if it would work but I would find something like that useful.
Cheers, Paul. Cheers, Paul.
On 8 May 2018, at 19:00, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I'm seeing a huge improvement in the predictive engine in this build,
many thanks for getting to it sooner than I expected.

I experienced some strange behaviour earlier today when trying to
switch between my three keyboards, standard, emoji and FlickType.
VoiceOver would announce one keyboard, but that one was not on screen.
I had one instance of FlickType appearing to be on screen visually to
me, but not operating properly, and reading out letters as I tapped,
as if it were the standard keyboard on screen. However I cannot
reproduce any of this behavior now, so maybe it was just an anomaly.

Dave
On 8 May 2018, at 16:44, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 61.
Hi Kosta,
The custom keyboard has started to crash when I write a long email.
It looks like it does when it does a slow start.
The only way I found to fix it is to hit the home button, then every
thing is lost.

Muhammad Salman Haider
(765) 586-6840