Re: Build 61.

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
My problems with switching keyboards were resolved after removing the emoji keyboard as chuck did. When I switch between keyboards, I am still not confident that my cursor will be in the correct location, but FlickType is consistent. Alternating between keyboards while typing is quick and nearly seamless. When I switch to the iOS keyboard for editing and VoiceOver begins reading aloud, I worry that the insertion point will change unless I am quick enough to set the rotor to characters or words and begin flicking. I am just discovering how easy it is to use the VoiceOver rotor while reading through the message contents, switch to FlickType keyboard, and immediately begin typing at the cursor location. Sometimes, when I switch between keyboards I forget to add a space manually on the iOS keyboard before typing out a word. In transitioning between the iOS keyboard and FlickType, however, a space is automatically inserted. If I have entered something manually on the iOS keyboard, I press space before switching back to FlickType, but if I am inserting text, typing a space before switching keyboards is not needed. By the way, chuck, how did you create emoji replacements?
I am so glad to be typing with the FlickType keyboard in responding to this and other emails. Thanks again, Kosta.
Chanelle

On May 8, 2018, at 17:55, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I was having similar problems switching keyboards, so I remove the emoji keyboard from the list completely. I had a bunch of text replacement shortcuts with emoji‘s in them, and they have been retained. Considering that I don’t use the emoji keyboard anyways anymore. I don’t think I need it on my list. Now I only have Fliktype and the English US keyboard in the list. Works much better!

Chuck

On May 8, 2018, at 3:43 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

I do want to add that the new release is working quite well for me otherwise. Especially from the standpoint of prediction. It is as good as the app itself, for me anyway. The only reason that I refrain from using the FlickType custom keyboard generally is, the one I explained in my previous email. The unpredictability and inconsistency of switching back and forth between keyboards that is. Especially when I need to edit text or add words that are not in the FlickType dictionary. Great job to the FlickType team on making such good progress with every update. If only this keyboard switching issue could be resolved somehow. And again, it probably has nothing to do with FlickType. Its probably an iOS bug.
Salman

On May 8, 2018, at 6:35 PM, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:

One of the issues that I consistently encounter is, when I perform the tap and hold gesture to return to the iOS keyboard, sometimes I get the emoji keyboard instead of the iOS keyboard. Other times, I get back to the iOS keyboard like I should. I do not know why this is, but it certainly causes a lot of irritation. Also, sometimes when I double tap the next keyboard option on the iOS keyboard, it switches to the emoji keyboard, even though the FlickType keyboard is the one that should come up as that is next in the order of keyboards I have. I do not think that these behaviors have anything to do with FlickType itself, rather the implementation of custom keyboards in iOS. But I am curious to know if others are having this issue as well. Once again, I just want to reiterate that I have changed the order of the keyboards in the iOS settings as well. Yet, the tap and hold gesture continues to sometimes bring up the emoji keyboard rather than the iOS keyboard. Not every single time, but a lot of times. And also, the next keyboard, FlickType button also sometimes brings up the emoji keyboard rather than the FlickType keyboard. These behaviors have existed pretty much from the first day that I installed the FlickType custom keyboard, so its not version specific. If anyone can shed any light on this, or even has a possible workaround or solution, it would be much appreciated.
Salman

On May 8, 2018, at 3:07 PM, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hi Paul, I do that now by switching to the iOS keyboard with a single tap and hold. Once I am in the iOS keyboard I can review my text utilizing the the normal iPhone gestures. Then when I am ready to type, I return to FlickType custom keyboard. The two keyboards play well together.

Chuck

On May 8, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Paul Sutton <sutty_p@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, build 61 is working really well for me. Obviously their are the problem's that people have already addressed but for me it's been a pretty good release. I would like to put an idea out there. I don't know if it would work for everyone and to be honest I don't even know if it is possible but I would love to hear other peoples views on it. Its to do with reading back the text you have written. I was thinking would it be possible to have some sort of gesture which when performed, would then place FlickType in some sort of review mode. With in this mode, other previous gestures that you use for FlickType would now be used for other purposes. Just for example instead of a single flick down accessing the suggestion list, you could be able to flick between lines, words, sentences and things like that and when you are finished you perform another gesture to return back to the standard FlickType keyboard. As I said, I don't know if it would work but I would find something like that useful.
Hi everyone, build 6 1 is working really well for me. Obviously their are the problem's that people have already addressed but for me it's been a pretty good release. I would like to put an idea out there. I don't know if it would work for everyone and to be honest I don't even know if it is possible but I would love to hear other peoples views on it. Its to do with reading back the text you have written. I was thinking would it be possible to have some sort of gesture which when performed, would then place FlickType in some sort of review mode. With in this mode, other traveler previous gestures that you use for FlickType would now be used for other purposes. Just for example instead of a single flick down accessing the suggestion list, you could be able to flick between lines, words, sentences and things like that and when you are finished you perform another gesture to return back to the standard FlickType keyboard. As I said, I don't know if it would work but I would find something like that useful.
Cheers, Paul. Hi everyone, build 6 1 is working really well for me. Obviously their are the problem's that people have already addressed but for me it's been a pretty good release. I would like to put an idea out there. I don't know if it would work for everyone and to be honest I don't even know if it is possible but I would love to hear other peoples views on it. Its to do with reading back the text you have written. I was thinking would it be possible to have some sort of gesture which when performed, would then place FlickType in some sort of review mode. With in this mode, other traveler previous gestures that you use for FlickType would now be used for other purposes. Just for example instead of a single flick down accessing the suggestion list, you could be able to flick between lines, words, sentences and things like that and when you are finished you perform another gesture to return back to the standard FlickType keyboard. As I said, I don't know if it would work but I would find something like that useful.
Cheers, Paul. Cheers, Paul.
On 8 May 2018, at 19:00, David Nason <dnason@...> wrote:

I'm seeing a huge improvement in the predictive engine in this build, many thanks for getting to it sooner than I expected.

I experienced some strange behaviour earlier today when trying to switch between my three keyboards, standard, emoji and FlickType. VoiceOver would announce one keyboard, but that one was not on screen. I had one instance of FlickType appearing to be on screen visually to me, but not operating properly, and reading out letters as I tapped, as if it were the standard keyboard on screen. However I cannot reproduce any of this behavior now, so maybe it was just an anomaly.

Dave
On 8 May 2018, at 16:44, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 61.
Hi Kosta,
The custom keyboard has started to crash when I write a long email. It looks like it does when it does a slow start.
The only way I found to fix it is to hit the home button, then every thing is lost.