Re: Introducing the FlickType custom keyboard

Santiago

I agree with most of the points on here. Not to mention, it would be nice to be able to use the Flicktype keyboard without having to go back to the default keyboard.

Santiago

On Apr 27, 2018, at 6:47 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kosta and Ashley,

I've played around with the FlickType custom keyboard and will list my comments below. I'm aware that some of what I'll list are stated issues in your below announcement email but you wanted our comments and suggestions on what we feel most strongly about so I'm sure I'll repeat some of your items.

1. The main difficulty I have with the current iteration is not being able to manually type words such as names that aren't in the dictionary. As soon as I rest my finger in order to explore the needed keys to manually enter them, I'm returned to the previous keyboard because the tap and hold gesture is designed to do just that. My preference would be to have a return to previous keyboard gesture that would not interfere with FlickType keyboard exploration and manual letter entry. It would really be nice if this gesture could act as a toggle allowing return to the previous keyboard from FlickType and back again to the FlickType keyboard but I expect Apple would not allow that.

2. I'm struggling a bit understanding when to use the 2 finger swipe down to exit the FlickType keyboard. I guess it is in order to return to a regular iOS screen containing no keyboard but I'm not sure when I'd use this. I believe I've found that tapping and holding on the screen you move to following a 2 finger swipe down will return you to the FlickType keyboard but the hold time seems somewhat longer than required wen doing it from the FlickType keyboard to return to the previous keyboard and it also only seems to work for me when done toward the bottom third of my screen. Again, I'd prefer a gesture that would let you toggle back and forth between the two states rather than two different gestures.

3. The click sound effect I'm getting when typing on the FlickType custom keyboard seems a good bit lower in volume than it is in the standalone FlickType app.

4. I noticed that when in the keyboard settings to review or add additional keyboards, nothing happens when double tapping on the FlickType entry whereas other keyboards open some sort of settings screen. You've mentioned this below so I know you're aware of it.

5. As others have mentioned, I'd prefer a keyboard presentation not unlike how it's presented in the standalone app when accessing the FlickType custom keyboard as opposed to a solid black screen currently being used. I do have some vision so that affects my preference. I don't know how this would impact the presentation of the typed words but I won't be using my vision to read those words so I don't need them to be in such a large font as currently presented. Obviously, those with more vision will have a different take on this.

6. I like how the 2 finger swipe right and left cycles through the typed words but is there a way to cycle through character by character? I expect that character editing might not be FlickType's forte and is probably better done with the iOS standard keyboard but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks so much for all your hard work in getting the original app and this alpha system wide keyboard out so quickly.

Alan Lemly