Re: Introducing the FlickType custom keyboard

George Cham

Hi Coster and Ashley, when will this new build ve out?

________________________________
From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io <alpha@flicktype.groups.io> on behalf of FlickType <hello@flicktype.com>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:07:26 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Introducing the FlickType custom keyboard

We are super excited to share with you the first ever version of the FlickType custom keyboard, which can be used inside every app. We really can't wait to hear what you all think! Smile.

Please note: this is a very early version. We expect to go through many iterations and significant changes before even releasing this to the wider beta group. Things to keep in mind:

- As soon as you update to this build, you must first launch the FlickType app once before attempting to use it as a custom keyboard.
- To install as a custom keyboard, go to the iOS Settings, FlickType, Keyboard and turn it on.
- To use, go to any textfield such as a note or mail field and double tap to edit. Switch to FlickType from the "Next keyboard" icon towards the bottom left of the iOS keyboard.
- To dismiss FlickType, flick down with two fingers. This gesture may change.
- To control the cursor, flick left or right with two fingers. Currently the cursor moves one word or punctuation at a time. You can also edit the selected suggestion of previously typed words or punctuation marks.
- There is currently no way to explore the keyboard and type characters accurately. Instead, the usual tap and hold will switch you back to the iOS keyboard where you can perform that task and come back. This also means there is no custom dictionary management at the moment, and your existing words will not work yet.
- There are no settings to configure, neither is any functionality of the main app settings present, such as spelling or raise to read back.
- Fast typing with multiple fingers may result in missed taps.
- Tap sound effects are a bit delayed as they play on touch up rather than touch down.
- Flick gestures do not have any sound effects.
- There is no flick left and hold gesture to delete faster.
- The first ever word you type may take a couple of seconds to be announced.
- When beginning to edit a textfield with existing text, only the current sentence will be editable within FlickType. You may hear "beginning of document" or "end of document" as you navigate using the cursor. This does not necessarily indicate there is no more text in the textfield, you just can't navigate to it right from within FlickType.
- There is no keyboard displayed on the screen.
- Works in landscape mode.

There's probably a lot more things that are missing or different. By becoming more integrated into your flow, there's also a lot of things that we are looking to learn from this release. Please experiment as much as possible, tell us what works well, but also tell us what the biggest pain points are. Finally, this is completely uncharted territory, so besides positive and negative feedback we are also hoping to hear your more general ideas about what the ideal FlickType custom keyboard could be, so that we can make it happen.

We are both really looking forward to hearing what you all think, smile!

Warmly,
Kosta & Ashley