Re: Version 138 WhatsApp crash reports

Salman Haider

Kosta,

Another crash, 10:09pm EST. Same thread.
It is now happening quite consistently for me.
The only way I am able to go back and enter text in that field under
that particular thread again is, to navigate to a different thread,
double tap the field there to bring up the keyboard. The Flicktype
keyboard comes up (this is interesting to me, which I describe in the
next paragraph). I flick up and hold to revert back to the iOS
keyboard, then exit out of that thread, return to the initial thread,
double tap the text field, and the iOS keyboard comes up. No crash.
As soon as I switch keyboards to Flicktype again, the app crashes.

Now, I do want to bring your attention to one thing though. Lets call
the thread that's causing the crashes, Thread A. And lets refer to the
other random thread, the one I go to to revert back to the iOS
keyboard, Thread B.

When I go to Thread B and double tap the field, as I mentioned before,
it's the Flicktype keyboard that comes up by default, and not the iOS
keyboard. This, I find odd because the iOS keyboard should be the one
coming up, rather than Flicktype, considering the fact that I always
revert back to the iOS keyboard in any window that I'm typing in.

So, it's like, it's somehow stuck on the Flicktype keyboard ever since
my attempt to type using that keyboard in Thread A.
And it needs to be reverted back to the iOS keyboard in Thread B. But
when I go back into Thread A again and switch keyboards to Flicktype,
Whatsapp crashes.
If I immediately go back into Whatsapp and try typing in Thread A
again, Whatsapp crashes right away after attempting to load the
keyboard.
This is one way that I've been able to reproduce the issue relatively
consistently.

I don't have enough vision to tell you what keyboard, if any, is shown
for that split second prior to the crash, but I am relatively
confident that it's the Flicktype keyboard that is being loaded at
that moment. Since the entire screen goes dark for a second like it
does when I have the Flicktype keyboard up.
Plus, navigating back to Thread B confirms that it's somehow stuck on
Flicktype rather than the iOS keyboard.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. It's a bit tricky to explain, so
I've tried to explain it in the best way possible. Let me know if this
helps or if you require any clarification on anything.

Salman

On 7/12/18, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:
Happening much more consistently now. Three back to back crashes at 9:53pm
EST.

On 7/12/18, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:
Reporting three more crashes. 9:47pm EST, 9:49pm EST, 9:50pm EST.
Salman

On 7/12/18, Salman Haider <salmanhaider.purdue@...> wrote:
However, I am not being able to reproduce the issue consistently. It was
happening 100% of the time prior to installing this new update, now
though,
it has happened only once, and I have tried to go into the thread five,
maybe six times. I will keep checking.

On Jul 12, 2018, at 9:28 PM, Salman Haider
<salmanhaider.purdue@...>
wrote:

Hi Kosta, after installing the latest update, I went to the same thread.
Initially there was no crash. However, no messages were exchanged.
I went into the thread again just a few minutes ago and Whatsapp
crashed.
The time was 9:21pm EST.
Salman