Re: Build 133

Chanelle Allen

Hello,
I, also, do not understand the rationale behind having the half screen keyboard only support touch typing. I am not trying to be critical; maybe there is something I am just not understanding. I think that some of you have tried to explain, but I still don't get it. To me, it seems easier to just switch to the iOS keyboard or dismiss FlickType rather than toggling the half screen mode on since VoiceOver navigation is more consistent when FlickType goes away completely. Does this make sense? After typing some text, I flick three fingers down to bring up the half screen or standard mode. Quite often, FlickType reads back what I have written. Then, I place my finger far above where I think the keyboard should be. Problems arise after I have located the edit field where text has been entered and I attempt to use standard VoiceOver gestures to read by word or character. Sometimes, the process works flawlessly, whetting my eagerness to continue testing this new dimension of FlickType and exploring its potential. More often than not, as soon as I begin moving by a specified rotor setting, and the direction I flick my finger makes no difference, I hear the message " FlickType: Flick up with three fingers to switch to full screen mode." but, I just realized something as I have resumed writing the rest of this email. When using VoiceOver navigation, my finger continually needs to remain near the top of the screen. So, if flicking down to read by word, I cannot place my finger somewhere in the middle of the screen where it is more comfortable--even if I have already taken focus away from FlickType by touching the top of the screen. Before figuring out that I need to perform VoiceOver gestures near the top of the screen, sometimes, VoiceOver navigation functioned normally for two or three words/characters before the FlickType message was announced.
The gesture for switching between half and full screen modes is great. If we call the half screen mode "standard mode" I wonder if people would confuse that with the way in which FlickType normally operates--that is, as a full screen keyboard. It's something to consider. I also would like to have an option in Settings to choose my default mode. I have never had vision and struggle with spatial orientation, but I think that testing FlickType's full functionality in the size of the iOS keyboard would be interesting. I need to determine the benefit of tap typing in a half screen mode versus dismissing FlickType altogether. As someone on list said, there could be certain situations where a half screen keyboard is more practical and others where a full screen is more appropriate. I am glad that Kosta is giving us different models to think about and explore.
Chanelle

On Jul 7, 2018, at 12:05, Benny Barber <rebelben@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Kosta,

I like where you are going with this.

I would like there to be consistency in the focus when the custom keyboard
is invoked. Sometimes it will open, the initial announcements are spoken
and you can start tap typing immediately (optimal scenario). Other times
when it opens there are no announcements. If I start typing, the initial
announcements begin to speak and I have to clear my taps and start over. As
stated in an earlier email, I would prefer the option to toggle off the
initial tutor announcements. I would prefer the announcement to simply be
"FlickType Full Screen" or FlickType Standard Screen".

When one does the 3 finger flick up or down, I would like the same FlickType
screen announcement (Full or Standard). With the 3 finger gesture either
way, I would like to see the focus to remain in the custom keyboard until
you either touch near the top of the screen or flick out of the standard
screen. I understand to put focus back into the standard screen, that you
must either flick back into it or touch in it. Of course when you 3 finger
flick up, the focus should be immediate and ready to tap type in the full
screen. For clarity, when I say "focus", I mean "in a ready to type Mode".

I don't think I am in favor of a standard sized full featured tap typing
screen. Maybe those that have some usable vision may prefer that, but if
you have limited or no vision some of the gestures could be difficult,
especially some of the 3 finger gestures and any other flick up or down
gestures that might be introduced. Again, this is just my opinion. I
respect those that have differing thoughts. Thanks.

Benny