Re: Build 132 half screen keyboard.

Ed Worrell

Hey Chanelle,

I would have to agree with everything you just said. I wasn’t sure about the half screen build at first. The current status of the “half screen” keyboard is limiting in my view. I would like to see the keyboard as an option to be half screen or full screen with a toggle or gesture to switch between the two modes. I honestly feel that it the keyboard is closer to the size of the default iOS keyboard the voiceOver rotor gestures for text navigation would be amazing. In it’s current state this is simply not an option. I love the direction it’s going, and I can’t wait to see what happens next with the half screen options.

Ed Worrell
CEO’/Co-Founder: OverHere Consulting LLP
“Bringing Technology into Sight”
www.overhereconsulting.net

On Jul 6, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

Hello,
After further testing FlickType,
I have noticed that sadly, my iPhone must be restarted after writing three or four messages/emails for the half-screen keyboard features to work correctly. I experienced the same problems that were reporter yesterday. Text does not get entered into a field unless the keyboard is dismissed, and navigation without dismissing or switching keyboards is difficult. Whether text entry is working or not, using standard VoiceOver rotor gestures to read back text is impossible without dismissing FlickType. I am able to find the area where my cursor is located, but using the rotor gesture or flicking down to read by word/character causes FlickType to either change case, insert additional punctuation, or change a word. In this email, text has been inserted in odd places. I went back to add the word "Hello" to the beginning. I thought VoiceOver confirmed that I was at the top of the document. I am not sure where my cursor was because once I deleted Hello, which seemed to be on the same line as my name at the end of the email, my cursor was back at the beginning of the message. I have an iPhone 7 running the latest version of iOS 11.4.
I was not at all thrilled at the prospect of a half-screen keyboard, but I am excited about the potential it could offer so long as VoiceOver navigation is fluid. Otherwise, going back to switching keyboards and editing from there would be easier.
Chanelle

On Jul 5, 2018, at 17:16, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Hello,
Try restarting your iPhone. It seems to cure those problems on my phone.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 5:13 PM, Chanelle Allen <chanellem.allen@...> wrote:

I am also finding that dismissing or switching to the next keyboard is more useful than taking advantage of the half-screen keyboard. Getting text entered into a field happens most of the time when dismissing the keyboard. When attempting to navigate and enter text by placing a finger above the keyboard, text is either not entered or sections get deleted. Maybe I should reinstall FlickType as Chuck did.
Chanelle

On Jul 5, 2018, at 15:20, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

I use the classic app because I am confident it will work perfectly, not so sure with 132.
No matter what I tried, the only way I could get text into a field was either changing or dismissing the keyboard. As I understand it, I should be able to tap above the FlickType keyboard and the text should be entered. Correct?

I'll go back and try again.
Chuck

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:13 PM, FlickType <@FlickType> wrote:

Thank you Chuck.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you cannot get text into a field unless you change or dismiss the keyboard. Has anyone else experienced that?

Regarding text replacements, these can actually be used once I implement them, and are unrelated to how FlickType interacts with the text fields. So that’s good news, smile.

Curious, what’s the main reason you used the classic app to type this?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 14:26, Chuck Dean <cadean329@...> wrote:

Build 132 half screen keyboard.
Hello Kosta,
First, I like the half screen keyboard because I can interact with all the fields while sending an email.
I understand this is experimental, but I can not get text into a field unless I change or dismiss the keyboard,. The ability to interact with all text fields without having change the keyboard is paramount to its success.
But you already know that.

The size of the keyboard is fine, smaller may be better.
Typing is just as good as the other keyboards, no lag or stutter.

Its unfortunate that FlickType can't enter the text directly into a text field, this would also allow text replacements to be used.

I was wondering if turning off all typing echo and feedback would stop the stuttering, but a quick test with fleksy told me no.

Obviously, the half screen keyboard is much more complicated than any of us expected. But this shows great promise.

BTW this was typed on FlickType Classic... Old reliable! 😎