From: alpha@flicktype.groups.io [mailto:alpha@flicktype.groups.io] On Behalf
Of FlickType
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2018 2:50 PM
To: alpha@flicktype.groups.io
Subject: [FlickType-alpha] Build 132 - Half-screen test

You will probably need to revert back to build 131 after this, but we really
wanted to get a very first round of feedback and ideas on the half-screen
mode that has been in the works for some time now. In this highly
experimental build, the keyboard will only take up 60% of the screen height
in portrait mode, and will always take up the entire screen in landscape
mode as before. We are looking for feedback on what the biggest issues may
be that prevent you from utilizing the keyboard as you'd expect. Assuming we
eventually get this to work properly, we are considering having an option
and/or a gesture to toggle between full screen and half screen modes, as
well as eliminating the dismiss function altogether.

For those who'd like to know the details, here's what's going on behind the
scenes: As before, FlickType does not immediately send keyboard events to
the textfield, in order to prevent problematic VoiceOver feedback which
includes delay, stutter, and perhaps most importantly a lot of erroneous
feedback such as "End of document" which would happen with almost every word
typed or changed. Instead, FlickType will hold on to all the new text you
have typed, and only commit the changes upon dismissal or switching to the
next keyboard. But with the half-screen mode, FlickType will also commit all
changes as soon as the VoiceOver cursor moves away from FlickType. This
means that as soon as you touch above the keyboard, you will hear the text
being entered in the textfield. In principle, most users shouldn't even
realize what's going on since the text will appear to be in the field as
expected. I should note, however, that I've experienced instances where the
cursor will move outside of the keyboard, but iOS will not notify FlickType
about it, and the only solution in that case is to make the keyboard active
again either by touching it directly or by moving to the next screen
element, and then touch above the keyboard once more. I have no sense of how
common this may be under normal use.

Eager to hear back any and all feedback you may have.

Thank you for testing,